Car Go Boom, Now Car Go Fast. ArmandoP tests his luck.

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
Ok, for those who dont know, here is the history....

CAR GO BOOM! Right when I was going to MDC to upgrade the turbo/downpipe/wastegate combination and solve my annoying fuelcut issue, the car decided it wanted to start rod knocking. I went about 2 miles down the road making the biggest racket ever, and it finally locked up on me.... Soooo here we are.

When I built my Mr2's there was something that always bugged me. I never got to do an entire build right from the get go. It was always upgrade msot parts, push the limit, find the next weak spot and repeat... over and over and over and over and over.... I ended up making nice power over a wide powerband about the same time someone else realized they could just drop in a 3sgte and save a bunch of money and be more reliable... Ive been doing that same approach with the Supra, which I originally bought with BHG from a guy who must be the king idiot of idiotland. Time to do things differently.

Well, I now have the chance to do it right. This thread will document that, as I am sure I will run into spots where I will need some help. I will hold off on letting the cat out of the bag on the final plan.

Step 1 is dissassembly and inspection.

Here is what Im starting with..
Jap 7mgte of unknown mileage
Rebuilt Head with NA cams and mild port work
Turbonetics 62-1 hifi bolt on turbo with MDC oil lines
BID DDP
PTE 580CC injectors
Lex AFM
Trust MHG
ARP Head studs
4 inch custom cat back by MDC Motorsports
oh, and the newest mod... Rod Knock.

The bottom end is locked up, so Im curious to get in there and see whats happening. Today I took the hood off and started tearing into it. Top end first. Im waiting on an engine stand and a hoist, so I figured I get in there and see what I find. enjoy the pics, more to come. (one of those is of the drain can after running the oil into it. It was clean before I drained the oil)

Attachments

• img272.jpg
    img272.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 60
  • img271.jpg
    img271.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 49
  • img273.jpg
    img273.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 33
  • img274.jpg
    img274.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 29
  • img275.jpg
    img275.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 43

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
more pics of the progress.
Looks like theres no issues in the head, so far.

I couldnt get the head off because I had a rounded cam cap bolt, but Ill get back in there in the next couple of days and get the head off.

Attachments

• img276.jpg
    img276.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 30
  • img278.jpg
    img278.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 33
  • img282.jpg
    img282.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 38
  • img283.jpg
    img283.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 29
  • img292.jpg
    img292.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 24

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I was reading through your other thread when you first stated the blown motor.
Now you have the chance to built a motor from the ground up. Good luck with the build... Subscribed

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
ArmandoP;1025513 said:
4000lbs and a 2 liter doesnt seem like the right combination to me....

Have you never heard of the 1g-gte? The 2 litre twin turbo that came factory in many supras overseas.

It sucks and is slow haha

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
this will make it go fast

Mercedes-Benz-SLR-McLaren-Engine-1280x960.jpg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah imagine tearing that thing down then rebuilding it. leave that to the le mans teams :):)

the 1gg is a good platform if you want to goto a lower class for road racing. its a decent engine that can hold power pretty well.

going to ditch the n/a cams for some turbo ones? the n/a are nice for torque but bad for HP Lol

good turbo choice, exactly what i used ;)

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
tlo86;1028528 said:
yeah imagine tearing that thing down then rebuilding it. leave that to the le mans teams :):)

the 1gg is a good platform if you want to goto a lower class for road racing. its a decent engine that can hold power pretty well.

going to ditch the n/a cams for some turbo ones? the n/a are nice for torque but bad for HP Lol

good turbo choice, exactly what i used ;)

Im actually waiting till page 3 to let the cat out of the bag, but might as well get it out there now, Im going 2J with this bad boy. So in a way, yes, Im swapping the NA cams out for turbo cams. hahaha.

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
having that debate right now. will definitely go single at some point, but considering my budget doesnt include an AEM, but can cover the rest of a single setup I may hold off on going big single... not sure yet. You should come by and take a look at it sometime, its mostly torn apart at the moment.

jonstew

Resident ST185 guy
May 2, 2007
Avon, IN.
Sorry the car went BOOM on you. I guess that triple A crack I made in your other thread was not quite so funny since the next day you were calling me for my member number.

2JZ.....you just could not let me have the faster car could you? At least I'll get to drive it.....hell it will probably be done and blown up again before I get my car back anyway.