Car died and won't start

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys, the other day I was on a small roadtrip, on the way back I was cruising at roughly 3300 rpm in 5th when I started to lose all power, I clutched in and the car died. After the tow home I started looking into different reasons, the car turns over but doesnt start. The next day I turned it over and it started and died right away.
I am currently a mechanics student and I asked my teachers about it, they were convinced it was the fuel pump from what I have told them, but I haven't had a chance to tow the car to school yet, and I have since tested the fuel pump and it works. Yesterday I tried turning it over again and I got a "pop" sound from the engine bay and then some smoke and a burnt smell, I did not see the color of the smoke as it was dark out. Now it also sounds like the starter isn't engaging all the time (brand new starter less than 1000km on it)

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks

[EDITED to ADD] the car DID overheat, but temps were normal up until I stalled on the highway, stopping all my coolant flow, the car only started to over heat once I came to a stop

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When it overheated there was no smell, a little bit of steam came out of the coolant reservoir when I opened it,. A quick inspection of the wires told me no damage but I'm going to take a good look in the daylight as it was past midnight when it "burned". I realized now I never actually checked if I had a good spark, just assumed because the next morning it started for a second but I'll look at that too

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys, so I pulled of my timing cover and wow. My timing belt is loose but intact (will need replacing) so I looked deeper and there is a pulley moving around inside
image_zpsqtjqmywc.jpg
now here is a close up
image_zps5j1ycqkz.jpg
that is the spring for the tensioner pulley on the top of the picture, underneath that, the pulley you can start to see is just loose down there

I'm not quite sure what to ask or say next, how does that happen I guess?

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
That pully I'm seeing in the pic is the oil pump gear.
Loose you mean like it will move up and down all directions? Or just spins easy?

If it's loose like all directions that would make some serious noise when turning over.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Alright so it isnt the crankshaft (my memory kicked in when you said that and I remember the crankshaft pulley not being that big, woops)
it doesn't spin but it moves loosely up and down, I do my car work on the street because I don't have a driveway, so I haven't had a chance to take the lower timing cover off and see what's going on. The timing belt was really loose so when I was turning over I don't think it was even catching on the crankshaft. What could have cause my oil gear to snap off?, If there doesnt seem to be damage should I just put on a new one and do timing and I'm good? or should I look for other symptoms

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Nick Squire;2055777 said:
View attachment 76812
that is the spring for the tensioner pulley on the top of the picture, underneath that, the pulley you can start to see is just loose down there

The cogged pulleys are for the timing belt and oil pump. The smallest one is behind the crank dampener. It is on a keyway and the key way might be broke. That would cause your timing to be off by a bunch very quickly and the car will stall.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Nick Squire;2055795 said:
Alright so it isnt the crankshaft (my memory kicked in when you said that and I remember the crankshaft pulley not being that big, woops)
it doesn't spin but it moves loosely up and down, I do my car work on the street because I don't have a driveway, so I haven't had a chance to take the lower timing cover off and see what's going on. The timing belt was really loose so when I was turning over I don't think it was even catching on the crankshaft. What could have cause my oil gear to snap off?, If there doesnt seem to be damage should I just put on a new one and do timing and I'm good? or should I look for other symptoms

There is one bolt on the centre of the gear. It either sheared or is just loose if only moving slightly.