Car didn't start right away after I washed it...??

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ok so I just got done washing my car by hand. When I tried to start my car, it didn't turn over. I heard a clicking, but not like when the starter engages and it doesn't start. I think it was the sensor or whatever that says the clutch pedal is in.

But ya I tried it like 4 times waiting a couple mins in between. After like 5 min it started up no probs.

I'm just wondering what you think it could of been.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Check to see if your ground cables are attached properly. If so, check the ground on the engine block. Follow and make sure the positive cable is connected to the starter. If everything checks out find, sounds like the starter could be bad.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I really dnt think it's the starter. It's still strong.

It did it twice again tonight, but if I hold the key to start it, it starts after a sec or 2. It's weird

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
stevenr816;1770172 said:
Sounds like the usual toy starter problem. Usually a sign of the solenoid going out, battery, or bad connection. Bandaid fix is the relay mod.

Jimbo;1770457 said:

Jimbo kinda covered it. The "relay mod" is kinda dumb as the system already has a relay, and the real electrical connection is made through the contacts inside the starter.

Back to the issue at hand, I've drained batteries by putting windows up and down, playing the stereo, turning the headlights on to wash them, having the door open (with the interior light on),etc. If it starts right up after a charge or jump start, then it's likely one of those issues. But usually you have enough power in these batteries to do that for a while, so it may mean your battery is on it's way out.

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
I dealt with this earlier this year. It gradually got worse and to the point where my car absolutely would not start without a jump, especially when hot. The two things I found that made the car go from not starting to starting were. The other wire that connects to the starter, I think from the ignition (small skinny one) I pulled it and cleaned the connection and it started regularly for several weeks before symptoms arose again. I put my battery on a charger for a couple days also. Combination of both and the problem never arose again before selling the car a couple months later.

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
starter relay mod. not enough power going through your relay also like they said your grounds are probably going out and getting bad.. if that happens to you again and it wont even crank.. grab a wire turn the ignition on and touch the wire to the positive battery terminal and to the starter .. it will bump it.. like I said just research the starter relay mod and do it.. wont ever get stuck again.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
raysupra;1771363 said:
starter relay mod. not enough power going through your relay also like they said your grounds are probably going out and getting bad.. if that happens to you again and it wont even crank.. grab a wire turn the ignition on and touch the wire to the positive battery terminal and to the starter .. it will bump it.. like I said just research the starter relay mod and do it.. wont ever get stuck again.

Might want to research it a bit better, you're adding a relay to a circuit that already has a relay. i.e. you're hacking the wiring for no reason

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Poodles;1771393 said:
Might want to research it a bit better, you're adding a relay to a circuit that already has a relay. i.e. you're hacking the wiring for no reason
Not Exactly... A 20 year old wiring harness over time gets worn out.. unless he wants to completely rebuild the whole Starting ignition system wiring, he would be better off Adding a relay to the system.

You connect the starter ign wire to a relay.
give the relay 12v
Ground it.
and send the signal wire to the starter..

now as long as duct tape and wire clamps aren't used in this mod.. its not ghetto
and hitting the starter with 12v isn't bad at all.. the original starter ign wire just looses its umph over time and rebuilding the body wiring harness is basically out of the question..
whats your thoughts on this?:aigo:

Somewhere moisture in the air is zapping out energy weather its grounding out your spark on the oil plug galley.. or grounding out your starter ign signal.. Something Isn't getting juice.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
raysupra;1771407 said:
Not Exactly... A 20 year old wiring harness over time gets worn out.. unless he wants to completely rebuild the whole Starting ignition system wiring, he would be better off Adding a relay to the system.

You connect the starter ign wire to a relay.
give the relay 12v
Ground it.
and send the signal wire to the starter..

now as long as duct tape and wire clamps aren't used in this mod.. its not ghetto
and hitting the starter with 12v isn't bad at all.. the original starter ign wire just looses its umph over time and rebuilding the body wiring harness is basically out of the question..
whats your thoughts on this?:aigo:

Somewhere moisture in the air is zapping out energy weather its grounding out your spark on the oil plug galley.. or grounding out your starter ign signal.. Something Isn't getting juice.

Yes exactly. It's already a relayed system, fix it.

Not to mention the real power connection takes place inside the starter...

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Poodles;1771410 said:
Yes exactly. It's already a relayed system, fix it.

Not to mention the real power connection takes place inside the starter...

ok fix it.. what do I fix if my car wont Crank, but has power?
I had this problem.. I replaced my Key cylinder(old one worn out), Ignition harness, both relays.. new starter, good battery, new engine harness.
what else could have been causing my problem other than the old wiring?
Or how could I trace it

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Poodles;1771434 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=ST&P=8

The real contact is inside there, they just tell you to replace it instead of rebuilding it. You can clean it up and make it work, but rebuild or replacement is the best way.

Even a brand new starter out of the box could have a bad switch?.. I ever see this problem ill test how much power comes from the ign starter wire and how much it takes to kick the magnetic switch, Thanks
Parker

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
raysupra;1771578 said:
Even a brand new starter out of the box could have a bad switch?.. I ever see this problem ill test how much power comes from the ign starter wire and how much it takes to kick the magnetic switch, Thanks
Parker

My guess is you weren't getting enough voltage on that line. I had the same problem and bought a replacement bosch starter (I know, should have got a toyota, but I didn't know that at the time), and I got this little pamphlet with it: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Technical Resources/Alternators and Starters/StartingSystems.pdf

After finding out that the new starter still didn't work, I noticed in there that it needed 8V for the solenoid to click over. Sure enough, I was only getting 7.3V. Ended up being my clutch safety switch that had a bad connection in my case. It just takes some time finding where the voltage is dropping.