CaptMKIII's Build Thread!

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
Alright well I bought Entropy's Supra off of him, it's an 87 5 speed, turbo targa. And it is on it's way to Kansas City from Colorado as of earlier today. Can't wait to start the build!

Here is what I have gathered and will work on.
-Head gasket needs to be replaced. So obviously the engine will be rebuilt.
-Tranny will be rebuilt as well since it comes with a new clutch.
-Front seat doesn't go back and forth, will replace motor.
-A/C needs recharged.
-Needs paint or a lot of TLC with the paint it has now...fender and bumpers are faded pretty bad from the pictures. I am going to do what I can with the paint that is with it now, and will likely paint it around winter time.

Here are the some pictures...(I will post some when the car gets here, which might be the 4th and shouldn't be any later than the 5th).

sm_photo_missing.jpg

^Interior looks pretty good.

Wish me luck and there will be a TON of pictures of this build so stay tuned.

Last edited:

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Nice!! good luck with your build man! Thanks for the car info, hopefully, i should pick that car up this week. Thanks alot man.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
-=Fonz=-;1068257 said:
Nice!! good luck with your build man! Thanks for the car info, hopefully, i should pick that car up this week. Thanks alot man.

So you got ahold of the guy? If so that's great, I can keep an eye out for an engine for you too.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
/\ i got hold of the guy, the email you gave me in the pm wasn't his i think. i didn't get anything back from that email. But yea i got hold of him and i m going to check it out in a little bit. I will be owning it sometime, in couple of hours :). For the engine part, i don't think its that serious but we ll c.

thanks for everything.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
-=Fonz=-;1068716 said:
/\ i got hold of the guy, the email you gave me in the pm wasn't his i think. i didn't get anything back from that email. But yea i got hold of him and i m going to check it out in a little bit. I will be owning it sometime, in couple of hours :). For the engine part, i don't think its that serious but we ll c.

thanks for everything.

Yeah I don't think it was the right email either, just ended up giving him yours anyway.

And the engine didn't seem terrible, but from what he said there was a small engine fire and it needed pretty much wiring and a few smaller parts but for the most part the engine was still usable. I just didn't want to deal with that interior since I found this one and all in all the costs to get it where I want it would be fairly similar.

Good luck with it though...keep me posted.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
*UPDATE*

A few parts showed up today.

New clutch and a motor for the front seat (it's stuck and doesn't move, and lucky for me it's all the way in the back, and I am like 5'10" so that isn't good news). Here are some pics!

p1068732_1.jpg

p1068732_2.jpg

p1068732_3.jpg

p1068732_4.jpg

And the car should be here tomorrow (that'd be cool to get it on the 4th), or on Saturday. Which ever day there will be a bunch of pics.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Its weird seeing all these parts/this car in someone elses build thread, lol. Can't wait to see all the things you do to it!

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
Entropy;1069459 said:
Its weird seeing all these parts/this car in someone elses build thread, lol. Can't wait to see all the things you do to it!

Don't worry it'll be done right.

And if I don't end up painting the entire car, just doing the bumpers, and fender...it will be even more fun.

Exhaust and downpipe will probably be the first things added after rebuilding what needs to be rebuild...and it will likely be custom.:icon_bigg

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Excellent..... You seem to know what you are doing, so I'm not the least bit worried about it. Like I said, I can't wait to see the progress on it!

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
*UPDATE*

Got the car today and cleaned the inside out a little bit. Tomorrow I will try to fix the seat so I will be able to reach everything. My brother drove it today (he can reach everything) and said it was pretty smooth so that's a plus - besides obviously the clutch. Car is cleaner than I thought it was going to be...

Pics...
p1069617_1.jpg

p1069617_2.jpg

p1069617_3.jpg

p1069617_4.jpg

Will start going through things within the next week.

Also anyone have any insight on an 89+ bumper going onto an 87 Supra? If it's not possible or requires a bunch of work than forget it, but if it's just as simple as put the bumper on or something I'd like to know since I like the look of it better and the bumper on this one needs paint anyway.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
*UPDATE*

Well since the seat was fucked and I couldn't reach the pedals, I figure that's probably a good place to start. Well it was a bitch to get the seat out since it was stuck in the all the way back position so getting to the bolts in the back was well...it tore the shit of my hand.

Here are pics...

Getting parts off...
p1070315_1.jpg

Fuck you car, old mutha fuckin fashion way...
p1070315_2.jpg

Seat out...dirty as hell underneath as you could imagine for a 21 year old car...
p1070315_3.jpg

Minutes later...
p1070315_4.jpg

After taking the seat apart and a quick trip to the hardware store (I snaped a bolt putting it back together and stripped the fuck out of another :dupe: ) the seat got put back together and went out for a drive. With the top off... :mrgreen:

Funny how my Mustang and one of my brother's snuck in there...
p1070315_5.jpg

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
Entropy;1070480 said:
Nice work! I know that was a pain in the ass, as I tried it once before, and failed....

Yeah getting those back bolts was no easy task at all! But once we got the seat out it was just take it apart and put the new motor in, then put it back together. Tore the hell out of my hand trying to get the wrench on the bolt in the back though. All is well now though...

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Nice build man, Bought the car 3 days ago and i got it yesterday. I m excited to start my build. The engine doesn't look that bad at all. Some wires to replace here and there and i should have it running in couple of weeks.
thanks for all your help man. The body is flawless! no rust anywhere and interior is great!!
10/10
thanks man for your help for finding me this car

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
-=Fonz=-;1071118 said:
Nice build man, Bought the car 3 days ago and i got it yesterday. I m excited to start my build. The engine doesn't look that bad at all. Some wires to replace here and there and i should have it running in couple of weeks.
thanks for all your help man. The body is flawless! no rust anywhere and interior is great!!
10/10
thanks man for your help for finding me this car

Glad I could help. Your lucky I can't stand that color for the interior or I would have bought it. Hell if it would have been local I would have bought it too. Enjoy your build though...I will follow.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
CaptMKIII;1071137 said:
Glad I could help. Your lucky I can't stand that color for the interior or I would have bought it. Hell if it would have been local I would have bought it too. Enjoy your build though...I will follow.

:evil2: i love the interior so much. It's just such great condition. Seats look like they haven't been sat on. i love it. I has the stock lip and also the engine cover.

Fast895ohstang

Jun 17, 2008
Olathe, KS
i wouldn't let the little shit do anything half ass in anyway on this car. the exhaust will be a 3" downpipe of some sorts and then custom from there back by a guy who a friend of mine had do the exhaust on his mkIV. *i am his brother btw* one thing i noticed driving the car is the chassis feels extremely loose with the targa out.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Awesome, glad to hear it. :)

Yeah, the chassis is really loose with the targa out.... thats the only thing I didn't like about having the targa out, lol. I think Do-Luck makes (or made) a bar that fits behind the front seats, that supposedly stiffens things up quite a bit.... This was yet another thing that I never seemed to get around to buying. They are kinda hard to find these days, from what I've gathered, but if nothing else, you could probably make one without too much trouble.

Fast895ohstang

Jun 17, 2008
Olathe, KS
Entropy;1072800 said:
Awesome, glad to hear it. :)

Yeah, the chassis is really loose with the targa out.... thats the only thing I didn't like about having the targa out, lol. I think Do-Luck makes (or made) a bar that fits behind the front seats, that supposedly stiffens things up quite a bit.... This was yet another thing that I never seemed to get around to buying. They are kinda hard to find these days, from what I've gathered, but if nothing else, you could probably make one without too much trouble.

i figured a rear strut bar may help some