Can't get hatch open

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Key doesn't work (never has) and now my lever won't open it. I can hear it working but it doesn't make that popping/clicking sound. Probably really basic but have a lot of stuff in the hatch I'd have to move/crawl around to get back in there and reconnect/whatever up.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Happened to me a while back. Key never worked since I got it, and the damn lever broke. Had to crawl thru the trunk and pop it manually. Just remove the main panel (4 screws I think? maybe 6?) and it won't come off without breaking because it goes over the latch itself. However, you can lift it from the bottom enough to stick your hand up there and manually release the mechanism. It's just a tab that the cables hook to and it flicks right I believe.

Mike

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This one's fairly simple guys. I adjusted mine a bit last time I had my interior apart.

1: Get in your trunk, face the rear of the car.

2. Take your philips screwdriver and remove the 7 screws (well, was 7 when the factory put it there) on the panel between the two really big panels that wrap around your interior. Remove panel.

3. Take a wrench (forget which size, likely 10mm) and tighten the slack on the cable release a bit. There are two releases, one for the key, the other for the lever, tighten them both up a bit if you can't figure out which goes to what.

4. Test lever. Put panel back on when you get it working, done.

Simple, yes? :)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
te72;1602952 said:
This one's fairly simple guys. I adjusted mine a bit last time I had my interior apart.

1: Get in your trunk, face the rear of the car.

2. Take your philips screwdriver and remove the 7 screws (well, was 7 when the factory put it there) on the panel between the two really big panels that wrap around your interior. Remove panel.

3. Take a wrench (forget which size, likely 10mm) and tighten the slack on the cable release a bit. There are two releases, one for the key, the other for the lever, tighten them both up a bit if you can't figure out which goes to what.

4. Test lever. Put panel back on when you get it working, done.

Simple, yes? :)

any chance you know what can be done for the gas door? I hate having to put my big ol hand in the panel to open it manually

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Thats a easy one mine did the same thing. Pretty sure your cable is stretched.Your going to need to take the driver side seat out. Undo the leaver take some zip ties and put them around the cable before it meets the leaver and it should pop. It is only a quick fix but it should pop it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OneJArpus;1602980 said:
any chance you know what can be done for the gas door? I hate having to put my big ol hand in the panel to open it manually
I read recently on here that taking a dremel and grinding away a bit of the plastic nub that holds the gas door closed away will let it open easier, as the nub does not retract as far as it should with a loose cable.

JStoked;1603351 said:
Thats a easy one mine did the same thing. Pretty sure your cable is stretched.Your going to need to take the driver side seat out. Undo the leaver take some zip ties and put them around the cable before it meets the leaver and it should pop. It is only a quick fix but it should pop it.
Alternatively, this also sounds like a feasible idea, I may have to give this one a try myself. Thanks for the tip JStoked! :)

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
JStoked if you're talking about the hatch that is not an easy way. My cable was stretched so couldn't tighten it, so just put a cable tie between the ball at the end of the cable and the lever on the hatch itself. cheers guys

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
If your cable is stretched, a simple spacer on the hatch end will do wonders. ;)