Can you launch you’re car with 18’s?

Mk3Les

Hey guys I’m going to the drags at the end of the month, I want to run my car in full street trim so that means keeping my 18inch wheels on. I know I’m being as stubborn and it’s not a good idea but hey I’m old so I’m aloud to be :). So I was wondering if anyone has had any success launching their car with 18inch wheels or could offer any tips.
I’ll just give you a quick run down of the car
1989 Mk3, 340hp at the wheels, coilovers and a twin plate clutch.

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
you coming on the MKIII cruise with suprasnoopa and turboA and myself. Sorry to hijack your thread, also are you suprasnoopa?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
haha hello. I stumbled into this thread, but wasn't expecting it to be full of Brisbane-based supra owners.

Neither of you happens to own the clean white A70 I saw on the SE freeway a month or so ago? I was in a silver supra (see avatar) with flattened door trim and bomex rears.

Mk3Les

DeSloth;1076539 said:
haha hello. I stumbled into this thread, but wasn't expecting it to be full of Brisbane-based supra owners.

Neither of you happens to own the clean white A70 I saw on the SE freeway a month or so ago? I was in a silver supra (see avatar) with flattened door trim and bomex rears.

Did it look like this?
p1076540_1.jpg

If so it was mine, also why aren't you coming to the drags with us?

On a side note, I nearly bought your car when it was first for sale :)

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Well now I'm going to ruin your little exclusive Brissy based thing! If you wanna be serious about launching get some MT ET streets. I think they can be had in 18". Although 16's would be much better if you weren't so stubborn :p.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Yes it did look like that (white mags etc.), but I was a bit occupied with not crashing to look too closely. Was about 5pm and traffic was pretty heavy. Your car looks amazing - puts my paint to shame.

I haven't go into the supra 'scene' yet, but the date for the drags is no good for me unfortunately.

Sorry for the OT babble - something relevant to your question: What is your alignment like (especially camber) and can you easily adjust damping on your coilovers?

Cheers

-Quentin

Mk3Les

DeSloth;1076544 said:
Yes it did look like that (white mags etc.), but I was a bit occupied with not crashing to look too closely. Was about 5pm and traffic was pretty heavy. Your car looks amazing - puts my paint to shame.

I haven't go into the supra 'scene' yet, but the date for the drags is no good for me unfortunately.

Sorry for the OT babble - something relevant to your question: What is your alignment like (especially camber) and can you easily adjust damping on your coilovers?

Cheers

-Quentin

Na man your car is nice as I said I nearly bought it :) My car is a bit like me looks good from far but up close it's far from good :)
I'm not into the Bris Supra scene thats why I'm trying to get other A70 owners to get together, but thats another story.
My camber is what ever a standard a70 should be and I cant adjust the damping in the coilovers.

18 inch MT's sounds interesting but if I was going to go down that track I'd go 16's as I said I'm trying to run the car in street trim ;)

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
haha I find this funny, an american based website, with a thread, with all these Brisbane guys. Yeah I did put it in but am buying a prosport gauge of xsjado this thursday, should have it hooked up by the time we meet up. What is the date again, I want to see how I go down the quarter, plus I need to pick up a shitty helmet from somewhere. You know the low down, long pants/long sleeve shirt and a helmet, I was unaware of this until I went with a mate to get footage of his car.

Mk3Les

Jaychen;1076550 said:
haha I find this funny, an american based website, with a thread, with all these Brisbane guys. Yeah I did put it in but am buying a prosport gauge of xsjado this thursday, should have it hooked up by the time we meet up. What is the date again, I want to see how I go down the quarter, plus I need to pick up a shitty helmet from somewhere. You know the low down, long pants/long sleeve shirt and a helmet, I was unaware of this until I went with a mate to get footage of his car.

Yeah it's funny that we should all meet up here but it seems like if you have a 7m this is the place to be.
The date for this run would be Saturday the 26th of July, we can sort out where we meet closer to the day. What ever happens it should be fun, if I dont work out how to get my car off the line I'm gonna run some crap times LOL

Mk3Les

Jaychen;1076552 said:
You checked out the drag racing tips on the stickies on SF.com.au? Some good info on there. The guy knows his shit who ever wrote it up. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=18639

Yeah I have, as I said if I wasnt so stubborn I'd just get some MT's. For me the thing is I want to see how well my car goes in street trim. If I had an auto it wouldnt be so bad but I have a man with a twin plate set up so it's on or off, I really cant slip the clutch either. I'm going to take it out again this week and play with the air pressure and see if I can find a sweet spot, I know it can be done I just dont want to kill the clutch trying to find it :)