Can someone tell me what this valve(?) does? (pic)

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Not a pic of my engine bay, but just one I found on the net. I Have a 86.5 7mgte.

3TDPq.jpg

Basically have had problems where car will idle low/stall after warming up/boost and a mechanic has decided to disconnect that hose and block both ends up. So that valve (or w/e the proper term is) is blocked and that hose that would otherwise be connected (and appears to go around the back of the engine) is also blocked.

Have not tried driving it yet (but it does run fine) to see if the problem is fixed (somehow doubt it) but is having this blocked/not connected OK? Will it cause more trouble, or better yet what exactly does it do. Seems to be something vacuum related?

Cheers

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Blocking that off is not going to solve your issue. Shouldn't cap it off either. If the hose is bad replace it. Also it's not a valve. It's just a manifold vac port.

Start with checking for stored codes.

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
hvyman;1836171 said:
Blocking that off is not going to solve your issue. Shouldn't cap it off either. If the hose is bad replace it. Also it's not a valve. It's just a manifold vac port.

Start with checking for stored codes.

No codes.

Will it cause issues blocking it off?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
That port is used for your power steering and your BOV. Connect it back properly and avoid that mechanic in the future.

There's likely an issue 'further down the line' in either the PS vacuum circuit or the BOV line.

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
It's a knock off GReddy, but it is a SSQV.

Have had it on for over a year and the problem started a couple months ago after having a few more than normal boosts that day.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
--Wolf--;1836378 said:
It's a knock off GReddy, but it is a SSQV.

Have had it on for over a year and the problem started a couple months ago after having a few more than normal boosts that day.

Maybe the Knock off Greddy is starting to die on you? You just started having this issue correct? Have you changed ANYTHING that could effect those systems that line is connected too?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
For starters, it's not a valve :)

That feeds the BOV and the FPR IIRC. Definately do not drive it with it capped off (and find a new mechanic)

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
seoul4korea;1836380 said:
Maybe the Knock off Greddy is starting to die on you? You just started having this issue correct? Have you changed ANYTHING that could effect those systems that line is connected too?

Have done nothing at all recently. Car is fairly standard as well. Aftermarket BOV, boost tap is mostly it. Fully rebuilt engine with less than 10,000km on it.

Only started happening one day after taking it out for a Supra meet and giving it a bit of a hard time.

How would I know if the BOV is dying? Can cover hand over BOV opening at idle and it makes no difference, also sticking finger in it and can feel that it is definitely closed at idle.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Might want to figure out what type you have first .... I could be wrong but pretty sure ssqv is a hks trademark.

Do you have a boost gauge or wideband ?? This could help with finding or diagnosing leaks.

Has the pitch of the bov changed lately or started making a different noise ?

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Turbo Habanero;1836574 said:
Where is your vac at idle?

And when you let off the gas at 3,000 rpm where is the vac ?

Vac at idle = -20
Vac after letting off gas at ~3k,000rpm = -24 and then it'll slowly creep back up to -20

My understanding is that this is pretty normal?

Also, reconnected that hose and took it for a drive for about 10 mins and oddly enough it didn't do it (stall/idle low) even after boost. I'm wondering if this is because it's a cold night as it normally only gets driven during the day? Either that or it's just randomly not doing it, although I've done nothing to fix it.

Now also, when I was reconnecting that hose, I noticed that under it, another ummm, port, almost underneath it had nothing coming from it. It's dark out now, but I've circled it on this pic, I'm not sure if it was the top or the bottom one, but one definitely had nothing over it. Could this be related?

XBas0.png

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Judging from your photo it's either you LPR or air supply for you VSV that goes to your EGR.

--Wolf--;1836603 said:
Vac at idle = -20
Vac after letting off gas at ~3k,000rpm = -24 and then it'll slowly creep back up to -20

My understanding is that this is pretty normal?

Also, reconnected that hose and took it for a drive for about 10 mins and oddly enough it didn't do it (stall/idle low) even after boost. I'm wondering if this is because it's a cold night as it normally only gets driven during the day? Either that or it's just randomly not doing it, although I've done nothing to fix it.

Now also, when I was reconnecting that hose, I noticed that under it, another ummm, port, almost underneath it had nothing coming from it. It's dark out now, but I've circled it on this pic, I'm not sure if it was the top or the bottom one, but one definitely had nothing over it. Could this be related?

XBas0.png