Can it be saved?!?

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
I am SOOO pissed at myself. I was working on the car and everything was going great. Got the computer mounted and hooked up. Hooked up the fuel lines, installed the intercooler and pipes. It's really windy right now, so I was going to call it a day when I got the radiator and Hydrofan installed. Dropped in my Koyo radiator and was trying to get the Hydrofan mounted when I broke off the overflow nipple on the neck of my Koyo. Talk about PISSED...I through the biggest adult hissy fit you have ever seen!!!

The question is, can it be welded back on, or did I just turn my $400 radiator into a paperweight?!?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Find someone that will weld aluminum and they can save it. A local machine shop or something like that can probably weld it. That's who I got to weld my blow off flange onto my intercooler pipes. Good luck.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
like a tap? im surprised an alumnium radiator nipple broke off that easy, mine seemed very solid and the reason i bought one was to replace my old one where i broker the nipple of that Lol.

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
l_df0c9080152d8877fbda2ea810ae1c8d.jpg

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
Dang that sucks but it looks like it broke in the right area for someone to beable to weld it back. I did that on my stock radiator and that was one of the reasons for me getting the koyo. Now when I work on mine I make sure to stay clear of it or be very careful.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Troy: I asked for pics so I could see how it was made, this determines how to do the repair.

Point in case here is the neck looks like it's been brazed on as well, if you were to have the fitting welded the heat required would be enough to make the neck fall off!

I'd look at either buying a PWR neck and have it welded on or find someone that can Aluminium braze and hand it to them for repairs.

Kruso

2J>7M
Jun 9, 2007
SugarLand
I've gotten a similar item welded before. Take it to your local machine shop, if they cant do it, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Kruso

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Wow...I feel honored Kruso's first post is in MY Thread. :D

I will take it to the Radiator Shop tomorrow. Like Kruso said, if they can't do it...hopefully they will know somebody who can. Is it possible to just get a neck from a PWR Radiator like IJ said?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ. said:
Troy: I asked for pics so I could see how it was made, this determines how to do the repair.

Point in case here is the neck looks like it's been brazed on as well, if you were to have the fitting welded the heat required would be enough to make the neck fall off!

I'd look at either buying a PWR neck and have it welded on or find someone that can Aluminium braze and hand it to them for repairs.

good info here, the PWR one is beefy im surprised the koyo is built like that!

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
A quick search of Ebay yielded a bunch of billet aluminium radiator necks...this seems like it will be easy enough to fix better than new...still a PITA.

PWR's website shows that they sell just the filler necks separately. I will be calling them tomorrow and getting some prices.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
s383mmber1 said:
Jay, i i jsut blew my head gasket, can i fix that with duct tape?

;)

NO............but I can............:icon_bigg

Troyota said:
Is it possible to just get a neck from a PWR Radiator like IJ said?

Confusious say...The answer lies within the question..............:icon_bigg

Last edited: