Can cops impound our cars?

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
My Boss at work was looking at my supra and was telling me that if I got pulled over and they looked at my engine then they could impound the car because it is not stock. I think he is full of it, but I don't know. I know they can give you a ticket, but I didn't know that they can impound the car. Anyone know anything about this?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I don't know.

But the statement "Yeah, maybe so, but you have a real nice house and a very nice family, I'd hate for something to happen to them. Remember, loose lips sink ships..."

Just kidding... sort of...

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Only if the cop is either a: smart enough to know it's an illegal engine or b: is a dick. Just be cool and do the "yes, sir" bit and you'll be fine. Apologize profusely, too. Don't be an ass and he'll be none the wiser.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I know the legalities of the engine, but engine aside, I mean just because you have an exhaust, intake, ect....

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I'm glad I don't live in Cali. I am curious though, can they impound it if you aren't from the state, just visiting? Can they give you tickets for things that are legal in your state, but not in theirs? (like mods, tint, etc.)

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
yep. i once got caught in a street racing bust, the cops surrounded us and we took my friends wrx down a dirt road. they towed car after car. we waited for about an hour then just drove back out the dirt road and the cops waved us past.....

next night someone was shot and killed, so we never went again.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
noooope, the rolling law might get the axe soon and be replaced with all vehicles after a certain year...

you guys HAVE to pay attention to the SEMA action network...