Cam seal problem

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Last week I noticed an oil leak and tracked it down to the cam seals. I put them back in place thinking nothing of it because it's a fresh rebuild and it takes a little time for gaskets and seals to seat. Wednesday I saw the leak was back and the cam seals have moved again. Is it possible that the cams are walking the seals out of place? If so howdo I fix that or do I need to pull out the other head I have and start from scratch?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
labrat469;965385 said:
Last week I noticed an oil leak and tracked it down to the cam seals. I put them back in place thinking nothing of it because it's a fresh rebuild and it takes a little time for gaskets and seals to seat. Wednesday I saw the leak was back and the cam seals have moved again. Is it possible that the cams are walking the seals out of place? If so howdo I fix that or do I need to pull out the other head I have and start from scratch?
Never had it happen but I guess it's possible. If there is a little too much play in the clearences for the cam bearings, it would probably do that. Or possibly too much tension on the cam gears from the belt being too tight.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
New cam seals and little bit of permatex silastic fixed my leaks. Those tight corners where the cam cover seals around the bearing caps is a prime spot for a leak. Thats where I put a drop of permatex.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
amichie;965543 said:
New cam seals and little bit of permatex silastic fixed my leaks. Those tight corners where the cam cover seals around the bearing caps is a prime spot for a leak. Thats where I put a drop of permatex.
Would the Permatex keep the seals from walking out?

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
AJ'S 88NA;965611 said:
Would the Permatex keep the seals from walking out?

I put my cam seals in dry and put the silastic around the top of the cam bearing cap where the gasket tries to squeeze into the corners. So I guess it never really came in touch with the seals.

They shouldn't walk out anyway.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I've noticed that some of the after market seals don't quite seat right. If you don't have to tap them in(just pushed in with a little pressure by hand), they're too loose, and need to be replaced. The Felpro seals fit good, and the Toyota seals fit perfect.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I got today off and plan to work on the Supra. If the gasket sealant trick doesn't work I'll get new seals to replace the new seals that I put in during there build.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;966398 said:
Not that it may be involved in this problem but sealant is supposed to be applied to both the outside *and* inside of the front cap. Look in the manual for details.

Typically from the corner out.

And as noted, the seal should not move. Improper repair.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Yesterday I recleaned the end caps and reseated the seals with a bit of sealant. This time I let the sealant cure. Hopefully that will fix the problem.