Calling All One Piece Driveshaft Owners!!!!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Of all the people using one piece driveshafts, whos got vibrations?

Getting REALLY tired of the vibration in my car and i cant seem to do anything to get rid of it.

Was looking to see if someone could take some measurements of their car for me. Im looking for the angle of the engine/transmission, the angle of the rear differential pinion flange, and the angle of the actual driveshaft tube. Would also love to hear what you have for runout at the front and rear of the tube.

I have matched the angle of the transmission output, and pinion flange as best as i could. I have .030" Runout at the front of the tube, and .055" at the rear. I feel that runout is my issue, but i have had work done on my driveshaft a few times and always the same vibration result.

Not really interested in hearing about how "the car was designed with a two piece shaft", because there is no reason a single piece driveshaft shouldn't work when set up correctly.

MY symptoms are a vibration, most harsh around 40-50MPH (3.91 gear, 26" tire, 2000-2500RPM driveshaft speed) that SOMETIMES is real bad and SOMETIMES is almost undetectable.

I feel like something is moving around under the car. Maybe the subframe bushings are shot and causing a mis-alignment.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I've only noticed it a little. Occasionally, my rear view mirror goes blurry and that's what tips me off to it. I'll need to drive around to pinpoint the RPM.

I drive around at 40-50 most of the time and don't notice it. It was closer to highway speeds for me when I had 4.30. But I have 3.73 now and need to fix the oil seals first.

I got my driveshaft from shaftmasters.

I'm not sure how to take those measurements though. I don't have access to a lift either.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Is there any possibility the tires are a contributor? Out of balance perhaps?

Have you had the driveshaft balanced in terms of mass? If originally balanced, have you had it checked again? Even with no runout it could be out of balance simply due to slight variation in the wall thickness of the tube. Coming from a known good shop, I'd expect they did that, but you never know...

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Bad u-joint, perhaps.

Jawsgear made my Aluminum 1 piece for the MK3, and my Steel 1 piece for the MK2.

Flawless performance and zero vibration. The Aluminum one has held 1200rwhp through an automatic on other cars.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
RHS: with a 4.30 it'll be at a slower when speed then a 3.91.

Emilio: It's a custom built piece by a local guy.

SupraRx7: It was originally balanced, then shortened and balanced again, then needed it lengthened, so the ends were cut off and new tube welded in the middle, and balanced again. Haha.

Racer: Any chance you could take some angle measurements?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Angles from MK3 to MK3 would be the same. Did you use Spicer joints? That's all I would recommend, and use.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea but I have a TH350 with custom Trans mount. That's why I'm lookin for the angles. Thinking maybe not motor isn't set to original angle. Not sure what joints are in there. There 1350 greaseable. They move freely and make no noise.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
I have a 1pc from princess motorsports. I have some slight vibration around 2200 and 2700 rpm. I do also have solid motor and trans mounts though. my tuner thinks my issue is in the trans.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I have solid motor mounts. But the vibration i have is speed dependent. So im sure its not them. Im sure they arent helping the issue by transmiting the vibration in the driveline to the car, but its not because of them.

Its really aggravating. The car drives so nice, fast, its perfect besides this vibration

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
Cant comment on angle but i have an interesting story. I had bought a steel one piece for my 2jz r154 91 supra from shaftmasters and had gotten a vibration at 70mph as soon as i put it in. Stupid me thinking that "this shaft is brand new and should do this" lead me to replace parts that didnt fix it till finally i sent the shaft back to have it rebalanced to which they found the rear an oz off and fixed it. What i did to narrow it down was put the rear end up and run it up to the problem area and see if it does it, next take off the wheels and try again, next remove the halfshafts and leave the axle stubs in the diff (assuming you still have the supra rear end) and try it. If it still does it one of a few things, the driveshaft, diff (very unusal to cause vibrations), or as you said pinion angle due to your custom mount on your trans.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You can tell by the speed of the vibration about what it is.

The driveshaft spins between 3-4 times the speed of the tire depending on the rear end gear. My vibration is in that range.

Its super annoying.

Can anyone take some measurements of their drive line angles?

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
I purchased my steel DriveShaft Shop driveshaft used (used for about 5k miles). No vibrations here.

Previous owner claimed that he bought it new - had vibration. Sent back out to re-balance and was OK after that.

I can see the weights were moved around so it was defiantly re-balanced.

Only upgraded mount is the transmission.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
do you have a Go-Pro? if yes, set up a mount under the car and do some testing. maybe you will see something that you cant see on a lift when the car is under load.