Calling all cruise control experts!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I hear ya. I'm the same way. When even the littlest thing broke it got fixed immediately. Not only was it a matter of pride but I paid a crap load of money for the car and everything on it.

If you have to you can probably get a new box off someone here or ebay. I'm not convinced that's the problem but I've been wrong before.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jetjock;1952448 said:
I hear ya. I'm the same way. When even the littlest thing broke it got fixed immediately. Not only was it a matter of pride but I paid a crap load of money for the car and everything on it.

If you have to you can probably get a new box off someone here or ebay. I'm not convinced that's the problem but I've been wrong before.

Well there was that once back in 1902 ;)

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I have a hard time believing the box is bad as well, especially since I didn't see any of the typical signs of component failure on the board. Since thiscar had leaky targa top seals on it when I got it, there was a lot of moisture in the vehicle from years of neglect. I replaced a lot of rusted stuff so maybe I have some corrosion on a switch or something. The pins on the connectors to the computer were clean, and everything read out fine, but a DMM is pretty useless at load testing things, so maybe things aren't kosher under load even though they appear fine on the meter. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
I might do that if everything checks out as far as the wiring and switches go. My kid brother is leaving to spend 6 months underwater soon so we are hanging out with him this weekend and gonna jump out of a perfectly good plane for no reason. Should be fun but I won't have too much time to spare because of that. Speaking of time, I have to wake up in 5 hours but the EA-18G's and EA-6B's are practicing their touch and go's till who knows when, so that is keeping me up.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
It is an issue after driving 20 hours on the freeway. Cruise control would have made the trip so much better. So would working power steering, but asking that a brand spanking reman'd steering rack wouldn't leak was a bit too much to ask as well. Oh well. The car has been sitting since 2009, so it is understandable that a few things have gone bad since then. Long drives like that are the perfect opportunity to find out what is actually still working on the car. At least my R134 conversion worked! Anyway, I pulled the computer out to make sure it is the correct part number for the car, since I guess there is a difference between pre89 supras (mine is an 87) and the post89 cars. Now to go through the pinout to make sure there is no difference between the pre-89 pinout fvs the post-89 pinout. I've been using the TSRM online since it is so convenient.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
No, I think that cruise control is important. It keeps me from getting speeding tickets. the Supra is way too easy to suddenly find that you're going way faster than you'd intended. you speed up a little to get around that guy in front of you, then "forget" to slow down again. Soon there are more people in front of you, and you need to pass them to, and ... Oh, hello officer.

I find it so much easier on long drives to set the cruise at a speed that won't get me in trouble, then just enjoy the drive.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah, it really is. I think there is a speed that every car likes to be at. It is going fast, yet you are pulling a lot of vacuum so the engine isn't very loaded. Mine likes to be at 78mph which is quite a bit faster than the 60mph speed limit on most of I-5 here. Sometimes it goes to 70mph, but lots of people like to clog up the fast lane doing the speed limit or slightly slower. I am not a speed demon (that's my brother's territory) but I do kind of like to GET there. As far as passing people goes, am I the only one who, during long drives, looks for that person who is driving at the same rate of speed that I want to drive and will just follow them along the highway? It sounds weird, but it is almost like some strange cameraderie during road trips. At least it feels that way to me. Maybe they just think I am some sort of stalker. I'm not, my cruise control doesn't work and it is easier to manage my speed that way. Speaking of being on topic, I was planning on troubleshooting more of the cruise control system, but my wife has a bit of food poisoning so I should probably be the good husband and take care of her tonight. Is it just me or do women seem to get sick easier than men? I'm never sick (knock on wood).

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Well I found an issue! I am reading out the vacuum pump, and it looks to be open. The pump itself works, but the harness feeding power to it is bad. The ground side is good though. I just don't get how that would cause me to not get a speed sensor input. I'll still chase it down though and figure out where it is bad. Yay for ripping the dash apart!