Calling all Automatic Supras!

Do you like your automatic tranny?

• Total voters

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
how many of us are there out there? personally i despise the automatic tranny..from the lack of an ability to redline to the dissapointment someone gets when they ask me if its a 5speed...to the lack of a blow off between gears...
how many of you guys like the automatic..and why? someone lift my spirits on how i feel about my tranny. whats good about automatic?
also...is it possible to do a burnout with an auto and our 4wheel discs? that neutral drop shit is garbage...i always wondered how auto guys do burnouts..

my vote: hate it.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
hit the brakes, hit the gas until it starts building boost, then slowly let off the brakes until the rears start spinning. Gradually let off the brakes until the car starts rolling and modulate the throttle to keep the car off the rev limiter, but under boost. If done properly, you should have a nice sideways smokey burnout that looks cool for all your friends.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
whats good about automatic?
What isn't? It shifts much faster than you can. Dream on if you think otherwise. A nicely built automatic smokes a 5 speed everytime.

Don't think a planetary gearset isn't any good because manuafacturers cater to the masses with things like smooth shifting.

to the lack of a blow off between gears...
You realize this makes you sound like a ricer Honduh boy. Darn, you turbo will last longer. That sucks.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i hate my auto tranny, and it's not even in a car ;)... it came w/ a motor i bought, lol, but then again, traffics not that bad here...

edit: as far as the auto/manual decision... i prefer precise control over my car, if i want to downshift to 2nd from 5th, i don't want to have to wait 3 seconds for my auto tranny to drop into gear... the whole auto tranny set up just comes across as goofy to me... it just doesn't fit, not to mention, manual trannies are way more fun to drive. but keep in mind, that's just my opinion :)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
There are SO many positive things about Automatics. First off, people that severely abuse your tranny are probably the ones that are complaining because of late night neutral to drive (DummyDrop) burnouts that makes them wonder why their tranny is slipping. I will say that they will never last as long as you want them to...that's just how it is. Now, if you have the money, build that A340E! Don't get me wrong, driving a 5 speed is so much funner but...what happens when you are at full boost in 1st gear in a 5 speed...You have to push in that clutch, you lose boost. I don't care "how" quickly one can shift, you are going to drop "SOME" boost if not all of it(depending on the driver)...While us Automatic boys are just cruising along holding the boost. As for doing burnouts, I'm praying you haven't revved it up in Neutral them dumped it into drive...you are just ASKING for a new transmission.:3d_frown:
Hold on the floor brake and push on the gas, you will begin to build up boost...I've never been in a stock Supra so I don't know exactly when it breaks loose, but my tires begin spinning before 1900rpms which sucks because I can barely build up any boost.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it or not but if you haven't tried to BrakeBoost yet...then you haven't been to Heaven.:icon_razz
I can build up about 3psi before my tires begin to spin and when I take off the tires chirp but I'm already boosting once I move so that makes for an embarrassment to the 5 speed guys that I always beat off the line.
Just a couple things to think about...:biglaugh:

*edit* hehe...Sorry, I forgot to add. DON'T TRY TO AUTO X IN AN AUTOMATIC SUPRA:icon_conf

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
hmm, well thats a little bit of the automatic i didnt know about...but what about how the most power is in the high rpms where us autos can reach. isnt that a big disadvantage?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
well i love mine. altho its built w/ a 3400 stall converter. as far as redline, if you have it in perf mode it should take it all the way out.

as far as the autox in an automatic, my ex-gf would disagree. she used my car at the nj meet autox and took first in the supra class :)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
dbsupra90 said:
well i love mine. altho its built w/ a 3400 stall converter. as far as redline, if you have it in perf mode it should take it all the way out.

as far as the autox in an automatic, my ex-gf would disagree. she used my car at the nj meet autox and took first in the supra class :)

Well then you, DB, sir, have proven me wrong!:icon_razz
Thanks for mentioning that for me...I kind of forgot about the whole Power button(extends your gear to higher shift point).

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nick M said:
What isn't? It shifts much faster than you can. Dream on if you think otherwise. A nicely built automatic smokes a 5 speed everytime.

Don't think a planetary gearset isn't any good because manuafacturers cater to the masses with things like smooth shifting.

You realize this makes you sound like a ricer Honduh boy. Darn, you turbo will last longer. That sucks.

Yep...a built auto keeps you in the power band through all the gears...I can keep the boost at a constant 18 psi through the shifts. The manual guys will not out-shift it. You do need a 3000-3400 stall though...that allows you to spool the turbo holding the brake. Makes for a great launch :naughty:

The downside is you do lose more HP transferring through an auto...that just means you gotta up the HP on your motor a little more...LOL.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
my supra came auto and at first i didn't like it, but i'm very happy with my tranny now... i just put a big tranny cooler in, and will be swapping in a fully built unit within the next year or so, along with the auto-stick to fine tune shift points, etc.

let's not forget, a properly built auto will be faster then a 5-spd.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
theKnifeArtist said:
yeah but what about in third gear..

What about it? In performance mode, you're going past 4000 rpm at the top of your boost curve...accelerating like a banshee. Of course, that on a built auto with a valve body mod.

Kinda reminds me of that little machine in my Avatar :evil5:

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
I forgot to add that getting a tranny cooler WILL work some magic. After I swapped in my new tranny, I went about a month without a cooler and noticed shift points were getting weaker...Installed a tranny cooler acouple weeks ago and the tranny seems to be working wonerfully! :)

Fastway135

Nov 7, 2005
Mass
Anyone have a high stall torque converter on their auto? I was just reading the "Your guide to drag strip success" thread and was wondering if any auto guys have em.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes the tranny cooler will help. also, be sure the line pressure cable is adjusted correctly. will make a huge difference in how the car behaves. w/ the car off move the tbody to wot. the crimp on the cable should come out just past the orange boot. if it doesnt, adjust it til it does.

fastway- yes i have a 3400 stall.

Fastway135

Nov 7, 2005
Mass
dbsupra90 said:
yes the tranny cooler will help. also, be sure the line pressure cable is adjusted correctly. will make a huge difference in how the car behaves. w/ the car off move the tbody to wot. the crimp on the cable should come out just past the orange boot. if it doesnt, adjust it til it does.

fastway- yes i have a 3400 stall.

Excuse me asking but where did you get yours? And does it work as good as it says it does?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Fastway135 said:
Excuse me asking but where did you get yours? And does it work as good as it says it does?

php in phoenix. i dont remember how much it was. like $500 or so i think. yes its wicked. it does make the car drive a little different tho. kinda feels like a slipping clutch at low rpm/low speed.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Got mine at IPT in New Jersey...they're about $500:
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

It's a 3000 rpm stall...wanted to keep a little better drivability for the street. That rpm is where the SP-61GT turbo spools...worked out great.

And dbsupra90's comment on the line pressure cable is dead on...it's adjustment makes a HUGE difference. Mine wasn't as easy though; with a modd'ed valve body, I had to make an adjustment...drive it, make an adjustment...drive it... Took a while, but finally got it right ;)