Calif Smog Legal 1jz???

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Can a 1jz be legally registered/smogged in California?

My understanding is (and I talked to the guys at the BAR inspection station) that it cannot legally smogged or/and registered in Ca because the 1jz was never available in the US market.

That being said, I know a lot of people out here are running around here in Ca. with 1jz's. What's the deal? Do you just smog it and not say anything (i.e.) pass it off as a stock motored car) or ???

I've never heard anyone familiar with Cali smog laws or with a 1jz mention how they got past the man.

It goes without saying that anyone who replies to this thread has no knowledge of any person who actually might have done this...of course.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You should PM/call Aaron over at DriftMotion...pretty sure he will have the answer you seek.

I don't think you will see such info posted in open forum ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
jdub;1122868 said:
You should PM/call Aaron over at DriftMotion...pretty sure he will have the answer you seek.

I don't think you will see such info posted in open forum ;)

I think your right, since I've mentioned it before and it got awfully quiet.

I just thought someone might have a guess on how this could theoretically be done. :icon_razz

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
ridah;1122880 said:
It's as legal as running a big single on your 7m or your mkiv. People still do it.

As long as that turbo has a CARB E.O.# on it, it's legal. Besides....if the car came factory as a Turbo, how the fuck are they gonna know whether your turbo is stock or not? Not unless they actually break out the book to look at the pretty pictures...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
KicknAsphlt;1123046 said:
As long as that turbo has a CARB E.O.# on it, it's legal. Besides....if the car came factory as a Turbo, how the fuck are they gonna know whether your turbo is stock or not? Not unless they actually break out the book to look at the pretty pictures...

supras have been around since 1987... or did you forget that? people have seen a 7mgte before... and people know what engines are normally suppose to look like. and they have books with the info.

ridah

Thats rice
Apr 4, 2005
Beverly Hills
KicknAsphlt;1123046 said:

When I think of big single I mean this.
john_firth_update_01.jpg
Unless the mod tech needs new glasses your not going to pass smog.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
suprabad;1123069 said:
I don't think postulating about this subject on a car forum will result in any arrests.

Likely not...but it could start a crack down on the other end. The ability to get a car passed. Especially if anything looking like a bribe is involved.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Rennat;1123073 said:
supras have been around since 1987... or did you forget that? people have seen a 7mgte before... and people know what engines are normally suppose to look like. and they have books with the info.

Nope, haven't forgotten that....but I've seen smog techs look right over shit they should've caught and failed you for on visual. I've also seen other techs actually catch it and fail you like they're supposed to. Depends on how seriously they take their job, or how knowledgeable they are. Just because they've seen a 7M before, doesn't mean they know right off the bat that the Turbonetics T-67 isn't supposed to be there and it's supposed to be a CT-26...

And as I stated, as long as the Turbo has an EO#, they shouldn't give you any flak.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
ridah;1123119 said:
When I think of big single I mean this.
john_firth_update_01.jpg
Unless the mod tech needs new glasses your not going to pass smog.

That's not big -- it just sits high.... :sarcasm: :biglaugh:

It's all in the EO#.....and, as I stated just above...how seriously the guy takes his job or how knowledgeable he is. I don't think the law states that you HAVE to have a certain kind of turbo on your car, you just have to have the standard smog equipment...EGR if it came with it, catalytic converter, etc. Most would probably care less what kind of turbo you have on there. If anything, it may make them look harder for the stuff you're supposed to have...but that'd be the extent of it I'd imagine.