CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
mattsplat72;1625630 said:
cant wait to Run on the interstate in MEXICO next May Kenny

I'll be there! :biglaugh:

whitemike;1625643 said:
Kenny, what all has to be done to the gears to make them work? I was just about to buy a set..

One of the gears has to have the head radius of every set screw trimmed so it will freely adjust. This is due to poor workmanship on OBX's part and I wouldn't expect to have to do this on any other brand. Or even a different set of OBX's for that matter. One of mine just happens to be this way.

The second thing is that the two rear timing cover bolts that are behind the cam gears have to be trimmed. The heads of the bolts need to be cut down. Dave pointed out that this had to be done with his Fidanza's. So, I would venture a guess that this has to be done in order for all adjustable cam gears to work. That's just a guess though...

I'll post up more pics so you'll know what you'd be getting yourself in to.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
CajunKenny;1625662 said:
I'll be there! :biglaugh:

One of the gears has to have the head radius of every set screw trimmed so it will freely adjust. This is due to poor workmanship on OBX's part and I wouldn't expect to have to do this on any other brand. Or even a different set of OBX's for that matter. One of mine just happens to be this way.

The second thing is that the two rear timing cover bolts that are behind the cam gears have to be trimmed. The heads of the bolts need to be cut down. Dave pointed out that this had to be done with his Fidanza's. So, I would venture a guess that this has to be done in order for all adjustable cam gears to work. That's just a guess though...

I'll post up more pics so you'll know what you'd be getting yourself in to.

No modifications done with AEM's "True Time" gears (previous series, as they have new one's out as well, I think. Mine are the 3 bolt, new are 5.) Sorry to hear you have to "trim" bolts, etc... nice to see you can make it work, all the same!;)

-crisp

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, after comparing the adjustment ranges of all the gears, it came down to asthetics. Hindsight, a "plug and play" purchase is a little more appealing...

In the end, I'll be happier with how my bay looks sporting the OBX's. So, I guess it's a wash. ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here's a shot of one of the problems with these gears. The set screws are too long.

p1626011_1.jpg

Here's my jig for consistent cut length of the set screws. I situated the nut so that when the set screw is tightened, the exact length to be cut is left protruding. I ended up taking 4 threads off of each screw.

p1626011_2.jpg

Here's a shot comparing the original length to the needed length. Also, note the difference in head diameter. I had to trim the heads down in order for the adjustment part of the gear to move freely.

p1626011_3.jpg

Here's the progression of the cutting...

p1626011_4.jpg

p1626011_5.jpg

p1626011_6.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
whitemike;1626026 said:
Great work Kenny! What's left before installation?

thedave925;1626029 said:
Thats pretty trick

Thanks guys!

I was only able to get one gear done today. What's left is cutting the set screws on the second gear and then trimming the four rear timing cover bolts. I'm getting up early tomorrow so I can finish this!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. Here it is all said and done. I ended up removing the rear timing cover screws that are directly behind the gears. With all other screws in place, there is VERY little cover movement. While it was idling, I pulled, bent, and flexed on the rear timing cover and it never even came close to contacting the gears. What an ordeal for cam gears!

Here are the before and after pics...

p1626340_1.jpg

p1626340_2.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
thedave925;1626579 said:
Kenny, in pursuit of Powa!

Well, it's one of those deals where I've had the water/meth kit sitting under my bed for like a year and I just haven't got around to installing it. Soon though! :)

djordan97;1626713 said:
hehe he's just jelouse he can't catch awd's so he's gotta get more power

Hmm...it sounds like someone wants to race. :biglaugh: