Cage is finished

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
So I finally got done this cage in a customer's Supra. I've been meaning to put a cage in my brother's car for a while, but things have been busy, and then Rob, Racerpage on here I think, came along and wanted a cage for his car. So this was the first supra I've done and I like the way it came out. I tried to keep things nice and tight to minimize the amount of weight the cage was going to add. In the end, it probably added a little over 130lbs. Not bad for the amount of stiffness and safety it will provide. I used 1.75x0.120 wall DOM mild steel.

I also put a new Buddy Club racing seat in and made rails for the seat. The rails themselves are not adjustable, but I used Sparco side mount pieces for fore/aft and up/down adjustability. So it takes a little more work to get the seat exactly where you want it, but after that you don't have to worry about anyone moving your seat.

So let me know what you guys think.

DSC01009.JPG

DSC00996.JPG

DSC01000.JPG

DSC01001.JPG

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

DSC01013.JPG

And the rest are here:
http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/Robcage/

Tim

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
there is something different about the back of that car, I can't place it but it looks like it's missing one of the stock braces...

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Thanks guys.

To answer some of the questions. I start pricing at $900 and then depending on what else needs to be done it goes up from there.

The X-bar in the doors is legal for a lot of stuff, NASCAR door bars are only required if you're cutting the door. On this car, the door was left untouched besides taking off the interior door panel.

And I did cut out the brace between the shock towers in the rear. Otherwise, I would not have had a place to put the rear cage mounting plates. I thought about putting it back in, but it's not necessary anymore because of the cage. I also had to cut out the two sheet metal braces at the point where I put the main hoop.

Tim

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Looks good...and strong.

This clearly isn't going to be a daily driver right?
I say that because it would be a little sight restrictive, not to mention tough to get in and out of 10 or 12 times a day

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
MDC, any reason why you're not a fan of MIG welds, just out of curiousity. Is it just an appearance thing? I mean a proper MIG weld is just as strong as a TIG weld, the only bad part about mig welding is less control over the heat affected zone. But for something like a cage and with Mild steel it's a non issue. It would be nice to have a TIG, but I still think I would MIG cages. Probably more a factor of the time involved than anything, also having to raise the base price of my cages would drive away some business.

Suprabad, it's not going to be a daily driver, but I think it will see some street time. The sight restriction isn't bad, I mean you can tell there are bars in front of you, but they're tucked away as far as possible. But the getting in and out is definitely a pain in the ass. I think he's going to want to invest in a quick release very soon. It's not too bad to get into, but a quick release would definitely make things a lot easier.

Tim