Buy or Rent Spring Compressor?

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Poodles;1880260 said:
Yes, and a spring flying sideway out of the wheel well isn't any less dangerous? :3d_frown:

The spring is locked into a seat, top and bottom, until the jack is fully lowered.
Please explain how a spring will go flying sideways with an upper A-arm in the way and no load?
Possibly if someone left the sway bar attached, that would be moronic.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Or you could take the coilover assembly off as a unit. Then take it to a shop for the changeover. That will save quite a bit over paying the labor involving R&R on the car.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
This thread reminds me of a quote...

"I'm not saying we kill all the stupid people, let's just take off all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
radiod;1880445 said:
This thread reminds me of a quote...

"I'm not saying we kill all the stupid people, let's just take off all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
Hahaha, well said! The world might be a better place if people found things out "the hard way"

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Nick M;1880424 said:
Or you could take the coilover assembly off as a unit. Then take it to a shop for the changeover. That will save quite a bit over paying the labor involving R&R on the car.
Thank you very much someone finally gets my point.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
projectsupra;1880422 said:
The spring is locked into a seat, top and bottom, until the jack is fully lowered.
Please explain how a spring will go flying sideways with an upper A-arm in the way and no load?
Possibly if someone left the sway bar attached, that would be moronic.

Because it's not "locked in" as you say.

Nick M;1880424 said:

Maple191;1880580 said:
Thank you very much someone finally gets my point.

Paying a shop is more expensive than renting a tool (which is usually free from local autoparts stores).

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I didn't know this question would get anybody recommending to take it to a shop. Or people recommending to just use an air gun or stand on it. You guys are funny, haha.

The dude standing on the spring to compress it (by the way, how heavy ARE you? You mustn't be compressing a stock spring by simply standing on it unless you are a BIIG dude) or using the car as the compressor.... you guys may want to take that to a shop next time. Skip to 1:12 for the money shot. Lucky he wasn't hurt.

[video=youtube;CYFOI_UsVxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFOI_UsVxI[/video]

There are safer ways to do it without a tool and likely not kill yourself, but it's stupid when such a simple tool makes the job so easy and safe. Rest assured everyone, I wont be killing myself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1880590 said:
Because it's not "locked in" as you say.

I didn't read the whole conversation, but it is locked to the damper until you loosen the nut.

Paying a shop is more expensive than renting a tool (which is usually free from local autoparts stores).

That depends on the shop. Where I worked in the past, that isn't in the book, so a time would be made up, like .25. You have to charge something. And I stay away from Autozone and others on principle.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1880283 said:
I'd certainly fix my own electrical panels! I'm a manufacturing engineer who designs, modifies, and creates tooling and procedures for a living. I rely on my ability to learn how to do something and perform potentially dangerous tasks in a safe and reliable manner. At home, if I don't own the correct tool, I'll buy it so I can do it as well as the professional mechanic and ensure my things are given the utmost level of attention and care.
Difference is, with a 12-volt car system, if you screw something up, you get shocked, it hurts. On a 120/240-volt system in your house, if you screw something up, you get killed. Don't take this as a crack at you, but don't let confidence in your abilities get in the way of clear thinking, and KNOWING that you know what you're doing, beyond any doubt. Home electrical isn't "potentially dangerous", it IS dangerous.

I agree fully with the second part of your post though, we were all given two hands, the important part is learning how to use them in the right ways. :)

IJ.;1880347 said:
Use it as an excuse to buy a quality tool you'll have for life :)

I have a HUGE shed fullOtools collected just this way over the years!
Ian, you probably have a bigger tool shed than most of us have houses. :p

Also, in your case, a "trip to the auto parts store" is a ways further than it would be for most of us I suspect...

Slayr504;1880456 said:
Hahaha, well said! The world might be a better place if people found things out "the hard way"
We did, it was called "pre-90s/00s. ;)

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
okay so instead of arguing about wither or not to use a tool i need some major help. wasted money on new strut mounts thinking they would come with the rubber circular "spring seat" that the spring sits on that fits in between the strut mount and the spring, cant get it from local parts stores, ebay, anywhere... anyone know a part number or place to get new "Spring seats"? please n thank you!!!!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
dooms;1883312 said:
okay so instead of arguing about wither or not to use a tool i need some major help. wasted money on new strut mounts thinking they would come with the rubber circular "spring seat" that the spring sits on that fits in between the strut mount and the spring, cant get it from local parts stores, ebay, anywhere... anyone know a part number or place to get new "Spring seats"? please n thank you!!!!
You and me both man! Just ordered two new ones from the dealer for about $20 each. 48157-14020

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
CyFi6;1883316 said:
You and me both man! Just ordered two new ones from the dealer for about $20 each. 48157-14020

Poodles;1883326 said:
IIRC ronniek makes those as well.
Good info, does anyone know if those fit the A6x (Mk2) chassis as well? Mine on the Mk2 are shot...