Burning rubber Smell

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
i Started up my Supra today, and it almost stalled trying to start, i drove it around the block and started smelling a Rubber Burning smell, i got back home and popped the hood, the main source of the smell was behind the turbo. i suspect it to be an insulated steel line that comes from the cabin, runs along the firewall and right behind the turbo runs down the firewall, it curves with the exhaust, im just not sure what the line is...its about a 10ish gauge line. now the engine was still warming up, oil pressure running at about 30psi. if anyone knows what that line is. it will help greatly, its about 10 pm. or else i would have pics of the line. i just want to know what line it is.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
have you just replaced the clutch or left your foot chillin on it while driving? i just replaced my clutch and for about 500 miles there was a burning smell that i knew was the clutch. ive read that it takes somewhere around 500 miles to break in. thats both street and highway driving. and if you ride the clutch you may get that smell too. hope this helps.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
double check to make sure there are no hoses or wires resting on the turbo or exhaust manifold. sometimes the o2 sensor wire will sag and touch the turbo

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I believe if you will follow that line around to the driver's side, it is a vacuum line running to the turbo pressure module neat the strut tower. It also T's off to the intake manifold. It should run to the heater control valve. I can't think of any other insulated wire going down with the exhaust except for the speedometer cable. It's as big around as your index finger or bigger.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ya it comes out of the cabin right behind the motor, runs along the firewall, and goes down the wall right above another exhaust heat shield and turns under the car, i think your right, i think it may be the speedo cable, but i drove it today, and no smell,,,,idk lol maybe it was just a fluke thing or something, and i actually wasnt doing burnouts all the way around my block....This Time...:sarcasm: