burning oil..

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
my 87 is burning oil but not a lot it's only puffs
I've been paying close attention to when it does it and I've notice it does it on decel..can't see it on decel but ican smell it
it blows a little off boost and also I get a puff of smoke when I take off from a stop
any ideas? valve guides? rings?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
engine-original but had hg and whole top end rebuilt last summer
turbo-57 trim has a little over 1000 miles on it
about a couple
months ago I put new injectors in and one of them got stuck wide open and flooded my cylinder so I sent it back to get flow tested and fixed out it back in and did an oil change since the oil got gas in it from the injector
but ever since since the injector got stuck open it burns oil..

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
not that you can tell by just looking but from working on my car and how well it ran before this
only has 80xxx miles on it
I'm guessing the entire bottom end was also rebuilt by the previous owner ? all vaccum lines are blue silicon and bottom end looks like all the seals have been replaced
but ever since that stupid injector it burns oil but only puffs...smh

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
do a compression test first, and check your PCV system, make sure that's functioning well. (checking for any blow-by)

keep in mind it's pretty common to hear of ct26's wearing out the exhaust side oil seal... especially on modified versions. (the symptoms for valve stem seals and blown rear turbo seal are pretty much the same) on accel it may be difficult to tell if you're burning oil or not... but I'm thinking it's your rear turbo seal

I think one of my cars was developing this issue... started out minimal... but it got worse... car was stolen though... anyhow, it had a turbo blanket on a ct26, and that will cause excessive heat buildup in the turbo that will cook the seal.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
I got the turbo from driftmotion..you think the seal could already be out even though it's only got a little over 1000 miles on it?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
haha really?
I was hoping that if it did end up being the turbo I could call Aaron at dm and see if he will rebuild it only charging me for parts since it's got such low miles and already went out

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
and how about if my car seems to hesitate when the vaccum is between -15 to -10? like barely
giving it throttle to cruise it has like a slight jerk like a boost leak kinda weird

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yeah you might need a rebuild already, grandavi's 57-1 trim didn't last 600 miles, hes got a 60-1 now and I think hes having trouble with the actuator. 20 year turbo technology is still 20 year old technology when it comes down to a rebuild/upgrade and the shell is still the same. I got c12a-s with steel upgrades and if it was actually like two gt28's I'd be able to build more boost still over 6000rpm. Not to mention for what I got into them with shipping I could of went single.. but I like the idea of TTR being a twin turbo recaro lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
BryanDyer;1931248 said:
and how about if my car seems to hesitate when the vaccum is between -15 to -10? like barely
giving it throttle to cruise it has like a slight jerk like a boost leak kinda weird

I'm actually trying to get to the bottom of an issue like this on my car... my tach is off too, so I'm thinking it may be an issue with the igniter or CPS (tach gets signal from igniter) and I've heard of the CPS causing some funky issues... could just be a loose/bad connection somewhere...

in your case though, I'd make sure the TPS is set correctly first... also check for any boost/vacuum leaks... running an un-circulated BPV (aka BOV) can cause stumbling too...

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
damn... well, I'll definitely let you know if I find anything out... sounds almost exactly like what my car is doing...

I think I'm'll start a thread see if anyone can shed some light on it...

Last edited:

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
go for it man
much apreciated if you figure out what it is just let me know
I'm
gonna do a compression test etc next weekend to see why I'm burning oil
I hate burning oil man it's like the worst symptom to many things can cause the same damn thing lol

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
go for it man
I'm
I hate burning oil man it's like the worst symptom to many things can cause the same damn thing lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
BryanDyer;1931381 said:
go for it man
I'm

yeah, I hated when my car was burning oil... at the time I had a pretty fresh head (10k miles since I had rebuilt it) at the time I thought I had fucked my valve stem seals by not driving the car easy (breakin) turns out valve stem seals don't need to be broken in. I know the ct26 is prone to blowing the rear seal, and adding a thermal insulator (turbo blanket) adds insult to injury... my turbo was stock, but I have no doubt it was the turbo seal that was burning oil

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, my 57Trim from DM lasted about 500 km. Was pumping a litre of oil per 100 km.. but no word from DM about what the issue was. You do have a 9 month warranty on Driftmotion's turbos...

However, I don't know if its the turbo. Depends on how your oil is burning.

If its after a good turbo pull, that may be caused by running a tad rich and just washing the oil through the system. Hard to control that without a standalone as the car likes running pig rich for safety.
If its on any kind of decel, it could be simply blowby because you stated (I believe) that you rebuilt the top end, but not the bottom end. A rebuilt head with redone valves on top of an old build usually raises the compression and puts more stress on the piston rings (simply because now the engine hasn't worn together... the head is tight.. the block is loose). Been known to happen although couldn't verify if that's your issue.

Valve stem leaks only burn oil at start for 10-30 seconds. Unless they are REALLY bad (like mine were... not installed correctly, floating on the valve stems, disintegrating).

Watch your engine and see how much oil you are using and in what timeframe (distance). That's also a good indicator.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
it does it on take off decel an of boost sometimes on when I really punch it
it's just so damn. confusing becuase it could be so many thugs I'm just really really hopin it's not rings becuase it's my dd..lol