Builtmk3's build thread

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
empera;878985 said:
very nice sir, think u'll be ready for may? ;)

I hope so. That might be cutting it close.

So i got some grade 8 studs, washers, and nuts to mount my turbo to the manifold yesterday. I removed the exhaust manifold and turbo from the engine and brought them in the house to swap out the crappy grade 5 bolts i had holding the turbo on. I have to take the turbo apart to get at one of the nuts which was no problem. I got all the new studs installed and the turbo bolted down and brought everything back out to the garage. I decided this should be the last time i need to remove the manifold so i would torque all of the nuts down, so i got the loctite and started tightening the nuts. As i got all of the nuts snug i noticed that 2 of the nuts weren't getting very tight. Turns out there stripped :3d_frown:. So i guess my next job is removing the manifold again, and attempting to retap the threads in the head. If that doens't work, guess it's helicoil time. That should be fun. ::hang::

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
socc924;882714 said:
Hey man, as long as your taking one step forward and only a half step back, your making progress, haha. I like your "training" arms.

HAHA, oops. I edited it just for you :thefinger.

BuiltMK3

Lurker for Life
Sep 27, 2005
CT
So i got the helicoils installed. Only 2 of them were stripped but i figured i should just do them all. I have to admit i was a little nervous drilling into my freshly built head. But once i did the first one it was pretty simple. Here's a pic of one installed.
p896251_1.jpg

Next i'm gonna work on getting the brake and clutch pedals and cylinders installed, along with the new brake booster. Since i'm getting rid of the ABS and installing a roll control i need to run all new lines. I was going to make them myself but i just don't see that happening so i will probably end up buying them. Do i have to buy these from Toyota, or is there another vendor i can get them from? Also the bolts that i had to bolt up my clutch were to short so i just got some longer ones so now i can bolt up the pressure plate.