Build up 7MGTE or go 1JZ?

EHumble

Now, I'm sure there have been numerous threads on this before, but I just can't decide. I pulled my 7M out of my MK3 a while back and just finally got around to tearing it down. I was originally planning on just freshening it up. New gaskets, new rings, you know, just to get it running reliably so i could work on the rest of the car. Once I pulled it apart, I found 3 of the pistons had deep gouges on the skirts, along with the cylinder walls being severely scarred (which explains the metal shavings in the pan). So of course, that would mean boring the cylinders and going with oversized pistons. I figure if i'd do that, I should just go all the way and build up a high performance 7M with a t4 setup and standalone. I know it would be expensive, but I would get the satisfaction of building up the motor myself. But, overall, would this be more cost effective as far as HP/dollar vs. buying a 1jz and doing the same thing? I just can't seem to decide. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight. I'll listen to all opinions and consider everything. Thanks guys and gals!

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
build the 7m you already have the motor
if you get a 1j you'll have to buy the motor first tear it down and then build it end up with the same hp rating but not the same amount of torque
there was a big thread about this piste last week in the general section caled "which engine?" check it out

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
^^ Same thing Bryan said. 7m since you already have it. The thread Bryan is talking about got a little heated lol. But it still has some good points that were made on either engine. Maybe read it and decide for yourself. Ultimately it depends on what would make you happy with the end result.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
I have a upgraded/rebuilt 7m motor I'm selling for a good price if you stick 7m PM me if your interested in a great motor with 7,000 miles on it!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What would your built engine power goals be?

If the 7M can make it, then use the 7M. In a nutshell:

1. You already have it.

2. You already have EVERYTHING that you need to make it bolt into the car.

3. Money spent on it is to make things better and faster, not just make it work.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
No matter what engine you decide just remember it will be expensive to do it right either way. Personally I would focus on using your money on a stout and bulletproof engine rather than power goals. Once you get done with your well built engine, then you won't have to worry about going back in there later to upgrade something else before you start adding power mods.

The stronger the foundation the higher you can go.

rap2chin

The Polack
Aug 30, 2010
Boulder, Colorado, United States
I got my 7m built almost finished, and now converting to a FFIM, I love my 7m I get crap from my 1j n 2j friends always saying (hows ur BHG lol) either way I chose to stay with it the engine is almost done, and I decided to go with a CT26 57trim through Driftmotion, all said and done should be hitting 410whp give or take a little on stock internals, also converted it to maftpro with speed density and ignition timing. I love my 7m and dont vare what anybody say bout them. either way take ur time with the 7m since u already have it and dont cut corners.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
what's up with all these threads lately where people want a new motor or can't decide which one to get and build when they alread have one lol

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
rap2chin;1941319 said:
I got my 7m built almost finished, and now converting to a FFIM, I love my 7m I get crap from my 1j n 2j friends always saying (hows ur BHG lol) either way I chose to stay with it the engine is almost done, and I decided to go with a CT26 57trim through Driftmotion, all said and done should be hitting 410whp give or take a little on stock internals, also converted it to maftpro with speed density and ignition timing. I love my 7m and dont vare what anybody say bout them. either way take ur time with the 7m since u already have it and dont cut corners.

yep yep DEFINEITELY DON'T CUT CORNERS it will come back to get you and cost you thousands

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I've been at this point as well and I decided to stick with my 7M because of the reasons listed already and I know my 7M was taken care of and the car was treated as a weekend cruiser most of its life. However, a friend of mine is going to be giving me his 2JZGE VVTI out of his 99 SC300 for FREE, so that is pretty much the only reason why I am going with a JZ motor; otherwise, I would have built my 7M and reach my 400-450hp goal with it instead. Plan for me is to run the 7M for as long as I can until the jz is built to my liking and either sell the 7M as a whole motor or part it out, would be a shame to part it out since it runs great. In the end man look at your goals with the motors if it's nothing crazy then stick with the 7M you can make 500hp with a good tune and it hauls ass from what I have seen.