Buffing the Supra this weekend?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Pictures will never tell the whole story.

Take the back of your index finger and rub it on your paint. It should feel as silky and smooth as ...

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
im suprised that none of you have mentioned wet sanding. Its a great way to remove imperfections.

Dont go to kmart or wal mart - go to an auto body supply store for this stuff.

Clean the paint really good first.

Most scratches and large imperfections can be wet sanded out with 1500 and 2000 grit on a foam sanding block. Just be careful not to sand through the clear coat.

Follow up by using a cutting compound and polish on the entire car to remove all of the spider webs and swirls. Be careful around ridges and body creases (like on the hood and sharper fender creases) so that you dont burn through the paint.

After you have polished out the paint wax it really good..

Wax is only as good as what is underneath it. If you wax over the crappy paint then it really wont help you out. All wax does is coat the paint.

You can do this same process to your tail and side lights to make them look new. Just be a bit more careful with the rubbing compound because you can melt the surface of the plastic if you press too hard or turn it up too high.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
who said my paint is new??

Edit: ok yah found the shop papers its 4 years old so yah it is new paint lol

Last edited:

BigTree

Targa JZA70 FTW
Jan 6, 2007
Canada, BC
Anyone have any good links for orbital buffers and the such?

I would really love to learn how to clean/wax/detail my car properly instead of paying some guy to do it because it is something that will be getting done at least once a year anyways right?

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
Orbital buffer are not the best way to go.
Theres a type called a duel action buffer its what the deatalier at theFord dealership uses. Aperantly its harder to burn throught the paint with that type of buffer.

I dont know I do it by hand lol.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
p5150 said:
im suprised that none of you have mentioned wet sanding. Its a great way to remove imperfections.

Dont go to kmart or wal mart - go to an auto body supply store for this stuff.

Clean the paint really good first.

Most scratches and large imperfections can be wet sanded out with 1500 and 2000 grit on a foam sanding block. Just be careful not to sand through the clear coat.

Follow up by using a cutting compound and polish on the entire car to remove all of the spider webs and swirls. Be careful around ridges and body creases (like on the hood and sharper fender creases) so that you dont burn through the paint.

After you have polished out the paint wax it really good..

Wax is only as good as what is underneath it. If you wax over the crappy paint then it really wont help you out. All wax does is coat the paint.

You can do this same process to your tail and side lights to make them look new. Just be a bit more careful with the rubbing compound because you can melt the surface of the plastic if you press too hard or turn it up too high.

Agreed, wet sanding is definitely a way to remove A LOT of imperfections in the clear coat (where most of the grime and abuse will show). I've wet sanded a few cars (entire cars) and its quite a bit of work if you really take your time and put a lot into it, but I'd say it really makes a big difference compared to just buffing. As ^ siad, the wax or buff job you do is only as good as whats beneath it and wet sanding will take care of this.

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
I think I'm just going to get the supra detailed up the street I think he charges like 100 or something. Depends on what he thinks needs to be done.

Thanks for the input guys