Budget NA build

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Don't be a tightass, when you get your windscreens replaced, use a professional not the cheapest quote.
This repair is the result of a poorly installed windscreen some time in the past. What happens is that the installer uses a cheapo windscreen seal cutter which chips and damages the paint, then covers it all up with windscreen adhesive and the trim pieces.
Then the rust festers away unseen by you, until you have rust bubble past the screen trim around the pillars.
The windscreen on my car was only bonded top and bottom, the edges along the A pillar had completely disbonded due to rust under the adhesive, due to the paint being removed on the previous installation.
I've had this happen in the past, my reccommendation is to remove all your own trim, clean the windscreen/body area thoroughly with soapy water and a scrubbing brush BEFORE the windscreen people touch your car, have them install the screen and reject the job if you see ANY removed paint. By removing your own trim and holding it aside, you can inspect the job they've done and they can't hide their mistakes. A professional windscreen installer either won't damage your paint, or will touch up any damaged paint before returning the car to you.
Fortunately for me, the corrosion has not yet resulted on holes and can be cleaned up, otherwise it would've been a time consuming repair.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You posted this in the build up gallery.
That means you now have to buy lots of expensive stuff, install it, and post pics so we can drool.

PS- My windshield had the aforementioned rust too.

1jz-soarer

Soarer
Oct 14, 2010
Calgary
I install windshields in Calgary and i know what you are talking about where you could almost push the windshield out of place with your palm because of the horrible install job (which i have done many times) but that is solely on who is installing the windshield.

The glass company which i proudly work for is one of the cheapest windshield providers and will do better work the anybody in the the province so don't judge on price but on reputation do some research before you take your car in to get the windshield replaced just like when you take your car to a mechanic you probably wouldn't take it to some random shop not knowing anything about them and trust for your car to be ok.

When you said you should do your own prep work and cleaning out with soapy water i wouldn't mess with it at all because more often then not people who mess with the windshield like taking off molding which are fairly pricey to replace on some cars so you would only add an extra cost for no reason at all. You should leave it to the professionals that you have hopefully done some research on and get it done right.

Typhoon;1759538 said:
have them install the screen and reject the job if you see ANY removed paint

forsure 100% make sure you do that just like when you take your car into the shop you do a quick run around when you pick it up to make sure its ok.

This is in no way an attack on your post just stating some things from the glass installers POV.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
1jz, no probs with your post, good information. I've been taking cars apart for years, so know hot to remove trim safely, however, others may not.
As for photos and a build thread, why not! I am painting the windscreen surrounds, roof and both quarter panels. One quarter panel nas badly flaking clearcoat, so needs painting and the other is fine, but I hate blending paint into pillars. So a bit of extra work and paint both quarters.
Here are some photos:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here is an intake mod I did, I think it fits in well with this forum. I expect 25-50hp out of it:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Got the garage cleaned up and the car masked up, ready for primer. Tomorrow looks like a good day and so does Thursday, so I hope to get it primed very soon. Been working crazy shifts at work, haven't had time to get back into it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
And finally primed! It can sit in the nice warm shed for a week or two and cure, then block sand and hopefully get colour on it before December.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Job is pretty much done, had a good buff, needs a final buff.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And my effort with rubber moulding around the screen, rather than the uber expensive, fragile Toyota genuine mouldings:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also have these to go on, but they'll wait till the new year when I have some more spare cash for a full exhaust system (the exhaust on there now is about to disintegrate):
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I received the pacesetter exhaust in the mail today, six days from ordering in the US to delivery, fantastic service! The Pacesetter exhaust is a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, made out of aluminised steel (an anticorrosive treatment). As you can see, it fits really well:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

It also sounds really nice and doesn't have that stupid ricer cannon dragging on the ground look!

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Sure do, only idling though. It has a nasty drone at 2000 rpm, nothing I can't fix with some stainless steel wool and a broom handle. It will also quieten down with some carbon build up.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
So I trial fitted the extractors today. I have even more respect for Toyotas now I've pulled the old exhaust off, all the manifold nuts etc are stainless steel and hadn't corroded in place.
The extractors fitted perfectly, I didn't have to tweak them in any way at all. All I have to do is fit an O2 sensor bung and weld a two bolt flange onto the outlet, then fab up a short pipe to the cat converter.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Excellent clearance around dipstick and filter:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fit up really close to the exhaust bellhousing bracket (means I can bolt the extractors off there and take the exhaust system weight on the bellhousing rather than the manifold studs)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Extractors are an almost straight shot into the stock positioned cat converter:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just enough floorpan clearance:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I've put a sensor bung in the first collector on the front header tubes, should get nice and hot there, plus gets to sample three cylinders for mixture. I considered putting a heated sensor way down at the six into two collector, but there's just not enough room. I'm pretty confident it'll be fine where it is, I've also ordered a new O2 sensor. I also welded a flange onto the end of the header to make future servicing easier.
I also dropped the valve body today and modified the accumulators, makes for faster shifts. Also wanted to clean out the trans and valve body, it was thumping into gear when cold, I think the throttle valve was sticking.
Some more photos from today.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
supraguy@aol;1809239 said:
Looking good.
I used the same rubber seal on my windshield as you did.

I had a whole heap of that extrusion left over from an aborted attempt at owning an Alfa, so it seemed natural to use it.

Here is my O2 sensor solution:
sm_photo_missing.jpg