Break-in period

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
OK. Thanks so much. I was going to hate myself if I found out later. Luckily I only have 300 miles on the rebuild, so I wouldn't think the damage has been done yet. Does anybody know what exactly the clutch break-in procedure is because I got a new one at the same time.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BK: This subject came up on SF recently and what I said there was there are far too many variables to make blanket statements or to recommend a procedure.

I have my way of doing things and my way of breaking motors in but this isn't to say it will work on someone elses build, I go for xx hone finish xx tolerance xx assembly lube xx break in Oil and so on so over the years and many many builds my way works for me.

Change a single variable and it may not give the same end result, a sad fact of life here is so many builds are being done by newbies that I doubt many would survive a hard break in due to quality of build and what condition the periphials are in.

Many times people have made wholesale changes during a build and the state of tune in itself wouldn't allow a hard break in without causing damage ie: new standalone very rich safe map that washes the bores down.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
and what's a good break in for the motor might not be a good break in for the clutch/rearend. A hard break in is also certainly not good for lifters.

as IJ said, there's alot of variables, and alot of parts that could come apart if it wasn't thought of. A gentle break in is the safe way to do it, but for the most part... if she's gonna fly apart under load, she'll fly apart under load, now or later. Would you rather know now? or be waiting on a timebomb?