Break In Period

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
5 heat cycles then re-torque, if you didnt cycle the bolts/studs before you started the engine. Then boost all you want.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
If you replaced it with a composite gasket, I would turn the boost up.... never.

:sarcasm:

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Tanya;1959759 said:
If you replaced it with a composite gasket, I would turn the boost up.... never.

:sarcasm:

Well, that is a bummer you want a slow car ;)

My composite HG is still doing great, and I have beat the shit out of this car at over 20 psi on my pt6766, and at 18-22 psi on my ct26 last year when I had that on it. :)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
You tend to become wary with composites after you blow a 2" hole in one on a naturally aspirated car 3 months after engine was built. I like my HKS 1.2mm very much thank you! :p

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Something was very wrong if you managed to blow a 2 inch hole in a composite gasket.

That being said... I like the fact that I don't have bhg in the back of my mind, thanks to my titan mhg

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Backlash2032;1960075 said:
Something was very wrong if you managed to blow a 2 inch hole in a composite gasket.

That being said... I like the fact that I don't have bhg in the back of my mind, thanks to my titan mhg

Ok well maybe one inch hole haha. Anyway, it was a shitty ebay composite. I was cruising on highway and downshifted from 5th to 3rd to pass a slow bastard and it literally went POP. I knew immediately it had blown. Got off highway and parked her. Thankfully it was just a compression blow out and not a water jacket, no coolant mixed with anything.

p1960222_1.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Tanya;1959871 said:
You tend to become wary with cheap eBay crap gaskets after you blow a 2" hole in one on a naturally aspirated car 3 months after engine was built. I like my HKS 1.2mm very much thank you! :p
Fixed that for ya.

OEM Toyota gasket is good. Better than a MHG if you can't/won't machine the block deck. If you keep away from detonation, and use an appropriate torque spec, it will be fine.

I'm always a bit wary of making the head gasket TOO strong. If it's the weakest link that fails, and that's the head gasket, what's the next weakest link after that? Piston rings, probably. If given the choice between tearing down the engine to replace a head gasket and tearing down the engine to replace piston rings... Which would YOU choose?

Of course, that said, the weakest link has to be strong enough to take what you are going to use the engine for, since naturally I'd rather not tear down the engine to repair anything at all.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Piston rings. That way I can tear down my engine. Do a complete rebuild, spend more money, get more pissed off, spend more money, and then finally feel boost 3 years later.

Its a vicious cycle, really.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Piston rings. That way I can tear down my engine. Do a complete rebuild, spend more money, get more pissed off, spend more money, and then finally feel boost 3 years later, only to break something else, just to start over again.

Its a vicious cycle, really.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Tanya;1960222 said:
Ok well maybe one inch hole haha. Anyway, it was a shitty ebay composite. I was cruising on highway and downshifted from 5th to 3rd to pass a slow bastard and it literally went POP. I knew immediately it had blown. Got off highway and parked her. Thankfully it was just a compression blow out and not a water jacket, no coolant mixed with anything.

We've bought the cheap ebay gasket set a few times. It's all good stuff EXCEPT the for the head gasket lol.

Fernando

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Spanish Surprise;1960298 said:
We've bought the cheap ebay gasket set a few times. It's all good stuff EXCEPT the for the head gasket lol.

Fernando

And the EGR cooler gasket...

And the exhaust manifold gasket...

And the throttle body gasket...

Oh, and fel-pro fails on all of those too. The fel-pro set for our engine is a rebox, it's not really fel-pro!

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Poodles;1960706 said:
And the EGR cooler gasket...

And the exhaust manifold gasket...

And the throttle body gasket...

Oh, and fel-pro fails on all of those too. The fel-pro set for our engine is a rebox, it's not really fel-pro!
They've sealed just fine for us. Used the kit for 7M's, 2J's, 22RE, and a 3VZE.

suprajztwenty;1960711 said:
View attachment 69695
this is what watts performance gave me when he decked my block for me.
Same guy we use. He does the machining for Dynosaur, PHR, MVP, AWDTuning, and many others. Use with confidence :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Spanish Surprise;1960734 said:
They've sealed just fine for us. Used the kit for 7M's, 2J's, 22RE, and a 3VZE.

EGR cooler gasket is paper from fel-pro, it WILL blow out unlike the factory metallic gasket.
Exhaust manifold gasket is the cheap crap metal and paper sandwich gaskets, paper blows out and you get another leak.
If you're using the throttle body gasket, I hope you like running a restrictor plate since the hole is way too small.

Point is, it's a rip off for what you're getting as it's the exact same gaskets as the cheap kits.