Brand new clutch barely engages

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I just installed a new South Bend clutch into my '87T. When I let off the pedal, there is a slight grinding noise and I only get about 5% grip. The car barely made it around the block and I couldn't even get it back in my garage. I figured I might have had a brain fart and put the disc in backwards like so many have done. Nope, I just took almost everything apart and it is in correctly. I did find out my slave cylinder boot was pinched and started leaking when I started to remove it. I have ordered a new slave cylinder and master cylinder. Wouldn't it still completely engage even with that problem? I am at a loss. Everything worked fine before. The only reason I even changed it was because the flywheel bolts backed off and I figured I might as well get rid of the XTD at the same time. I searched and saw a post on how to adjust the clutch pedal, but would that possibly cause that much slippage and the noise? Also, I have an RPS flywheel.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
-check clutch pedal freeplay (very possible to cause this problem as it did on mine)

-what's the condition of the flywheel? it's it's heavily worn and no longer has a backstep it could be an issue, but it wouldn't cause it to slip on a brand new clutch...

-something wasn't assembled right on the throwout bearing assembly, but yet again, I don't see it affecting it in this way...

Now the grinding noise has to come from somewhere, look for worn areas somewhere. My clutch when new sounded like sandpaper when slipped and would squeek as well when it grabbed...

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The flywheel is in great shape. I know I installed the throwout bearing correctly. I guess I just need to adjust the pedal. I can't believe it can cause that much slippage. I think the noise is just because it's new.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I just put a hpf clutch on my 1jz, which is a Southbend modified clutch. Make sure you put all of the rings on correctly, maybe try bleeding your slave... Best of luck.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
the boot of the slave should never have fluid in it. the slave sounds blown, even though it prob isn't your problem

the "grinding" is going to leave a mark on something. i would find where that is, first and foremost

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I replaced the slave cylinder, bled it, double checked everything, and adjusted the pedal and freeplay according the the TSRM. It still doesn't grab. It engages sooner but the car still barely moves with the pedal all the way out. I've had it. I'm very close to getting rid of it. Is there anything else it could be?

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
forcefedsupra;1127312 said:
I replaced the slave cylinder, bled it, double checked everything, and adjusted the pedal and freeplay according the the TSRM. It still doesn't grab. It engages sooner but the car still barely moves with the pedal all the way out. I've had it. I'm very close to getting rid of it. Is there anything else it could be?

getting rid of the clutch or the car?