Brakes glazing over! HELP

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
I am looking for someones opinion or knowledge from experience on brakes glazing over and not stopping the car!

I had bought a set of front and rear drilled and slotted rotors off ebay.... Probably my first mistake
When i drive hard and fast and break hard a couple of times then Glaze! and no breaks from stopping, well barely. I have to judge my stop ahead of time and it is horribly scary.

What i have done is replaced my front pads with a set of good pads but still glazes over the same. And now I am planning of getting new rotors but dont know which ones to get or where to buy them and get a quality set that people can vouch for.

Any feed back would be much appreciated

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Ebay almost definitely was your first mistake lol

I personally cant speak on the rotors glazing, but if you have money to spend, go with a set similar to the one drift motion sells-name brand slotted, not drilled. drilled crack.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-powerslotbrakerotormk3suprarear.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-stoptechrotorfrontmk3.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-30906220.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-30904350.php

I know there are a couple other brands around people lie, but cant think of em, look around see if you can find people mentioning them or wait for someone else to chime in.

If your REALLY looking to spend money though, you could also think about a BBK, but that's another post in its own... and expensive, do a bit ah' reading if you're into that...

I did mine on a semi-budget- I replaced em with the expensive pads on drifmotion:

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-30906220.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-30904350.php

and some brembo front rotors off amazon (same as stock-but a name brand) and beck arnley rear rotors (front brakes do most stopping-good fronts makes sense)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZMAUC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAZJF4

sure, I really only saved about 120 in the end, but I'm happy with them for now and I HAD to replace them, they were really gone, vibrating like crazy.

I also purchased the beck arnley off rockauto on clearance for only like 10 bucks each. Plus shipping. So again, if you want to save-look around. But I went with the good pads-they are pretty important.

Also, BREAK IN IS IMPORTANT! Do it right!

edit:
I didnt see tha part where you said you were driving fast and whatnot. You can almost definitely expect bad brake fade with the stock setup in the mk3, especially after many hard stops.

solutions?
BBK
slotted name brand rotors all-around (and pads to go with em)
dont brake as much-engine brake.

Last edited:

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
probably has nothing to do with your rotors or pads...You should try flushing out your brake fluid with some fresh stuff. You are probably boiling your brake fluid when you stop hard..as break fluid get old and contaminated it looses its ability to no boil. result, pedal gets spongy or simply falls to the floor and you cannot stop worth a darn.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Thats a good point about the brake fluid boiling and being contaminated, I changed it maybe 2 years back and it could use a change.

And I like the brembo solid rotors you bought legolyle, I am pretty sure my ebays are SHIT considering fronts and rear were all about 100 bucks, I was foolish back when.

Ill wait to see if anyone else has to say on top of this good info, and probably go with the front brimbos on the front and drain fluid all around

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Wagner Thermoquiets from Orilys autoparts, They were the higher quality ones that one of there guys recomended. They seem good

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
If by any chance it isn't your brake fluid instead of tossing your rotors you should get them turned and try it again I know some shops in tampa charge $5-20 per rotor.... Just a thought.

Sent from my Galaxy S phone

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Im pretty sure the rotors are crap in some way, they are cheap chinese ones so i am going to go with the brombo fronts, bleed the brakes and see how they are then. I remember my stocker rotors stopped alot harder so ill go with the brembo solids

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Those pads are pretty good. I use them all the time in customer cars.

If you want good performance. Go to napa get blank napa rotors. There 35$ a piece. Then go to www.summitracing.com and get ebc redstuff pads. Break them in hard like 70-20mph hard stops over a few times and get them hot. Then you have a really strong breaking system for stock.

Most street cars wont need much more than that unless your high powered and highly racing.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
You did clean the storage rust preventative treatment off the rotors when you installed them, didn't you?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I would be interested in some pictures of these rotors. I dont see how the rotor material could be "low quality" resulting in excessive brake pad material transfer. also typically when you get excessive transfer due to abuse it shows up as small patches around the rotor and causes severe vibrations. This isnt due to the rotor more so using the pad out of its recommended temperature range. how far does your pedal travel?

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
supraguru05;1742617 said:
I would be interested in some pictures of these rotors. I dont see how the rotor material could be "low quality" resulting in excessive brake pad material transfer. also typically when you get excessive transfer due to abuse it shows up as small patches around the rotor and causes severe vibrations. This isnt due to the rotor more so using the pad out of its recommended temperature range. how far does your pedal travel?

I agree 100% Cast iron is pretty much cast iron and Chinese metallurgy is generally pretty good, especialy with cast iron products.
As for pads, I don't have enough BAD things to say about EBC junk, wouldn't buy it in a pink fit. Overpriced junk. I've seen way more than one track day car destroy a set of EBC pads.
Plenty of excellent carbon pads out there that will do the same job for a third of the price.

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
While I agree that there isn't THAT big of a difference between cast iron rotors, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't see me entrusting my safety to all Chinese rotors any day-SPECIFICALLY the ones he's using, Chinese rotors that are slotted and drilled = baaad idea. Cracked rotors anyone?
Chinese blanks would be fine though - everybody uses those everyday anyway lol...

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Im pretty sure u just need to change ur fluid and do a good bleed. You probably let a ton of air into the system when putting on the rotors and pads. Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm really not sure how he could have let air in while changing the rotors and pads.... you don't open the system up when doing that-just hang the calipers off to the side. unless he took em off of course.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Or cracked the bleeders to push the calipers in. Or had a dumb friend who stepped on the brake petal and shot the piston on the floor. It just sounds like air in the system and this thread is not beeming with info.lol i have had more then a couple of ppl come into the shop with the same problem. Also i love ebc red stuff been running them about 6 years

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Typhoon;1742785 said:
I agree 100% Cast iron is pretty much cast iron and Chinese metallurgy is generally pretty good, especialy with cast iron products.
As for pads, I don't have enough BAD things to say about EBC junk, wouldn't buy it in a pink fit. Overpriced junk. I've seen way more than one track day car destroy a set of EBC pads.
Plenty of excellent carbon pads out there that will do the same job for a third of the price.

Which ebc pads? The red stuff work awesome for the streets. They have 2 more pads that have higher temp ratings. And actually there prices are pretty fair. Try summitracing.com .

The green stuff is = to stock pads and are only 50$ or so. red stuff are 75 and yellow stuff are 100. There is also the black ones as well.