Brake Upgrades

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I'm going to be needing some brake work in the next 6 months.......and I had been previously been thinking about just getting some powerslot rotors and some better pads, but upon review I was leaning more towards doing some sort of upgrade. Our cars are big enough that a one piston front caliper just isn't enough.

So what are my options for a 2 or 4 pot caliper and a larger rotor.

I'm aware of the Wilwood kit and saw something about 300zx calipers.........what's the deal? Would Mk4 TT calipers work? How about Lexus LS400? A guy on my local board is selling a set of those.....

whopwood

Jun 27, 2005
Madison, WI
I smell a search button comment in the making here....

As for the topic, I have been looking as well and have not found any one solution that makes me feel happy. I'll probably spend wayyyyy too much on the wilwood 335mm kit.

"14-TL-0042 PBC Front Kit - Toyota Supra all, 86-92 - 355mm x 35mm, 2-pc. - Plain Rotors, Wilwood 6
Piston - GN III Calipers, Brackets, Pads, SS Flex Hoses, Hardware, Instrux
$1899 45%"

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
whopwood said:
I smell a search button comment in the making here....

As for the topic, I have been looking as well and have not found any one solution that makes me feel happy. I'll probably spend wayyyyy too much on the wilwood 335mm kit.

"14-TL-0042 PBC Front Kit - Toyota Supra all, 86-92 - 355mm x 35mm, 2-pc. - Plain Rotors, Wilwood 6
Piston - GN III Calipers, Brackets, Pads, SS Flex Hoses, Hardware, Instrux
$1899 45%"

I've seen that sort of thing before and I know someone that has it. Great kit, I just don't want to spend as much money. I DID search, but didn't find anything definitive. I'm rather looking for alternative upgrade paths, not necessarily the kits......like I said, MK4, LS400, Z32, etc....

whopwood

Jun 27, 2005
Madison, WI
Try searching supraforums .... lots of hits there. All the options I have seen so far have hidden drawbacks like long pedal throw, pads too far out from center, calipers without proper protective dirt seals, etc...

I had a oh-s#!t today at lunch and am still wishing for brakes that impress. Luckily, the woodchuck saw me bearing down and decided to exit stage right. My stock brakes would not have been enough to prevent ground chuck.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
That is so beast........If I can raise the money I'll probably do something along those lines. I'm going to be sticking with 17" wheels as far as I can see, what size rotor can I get away with? only a 13" I'm guessing.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
usually the big break kits for our cars are 13'' or 12.5'' from what i've seen,

i have seen people do MKIV brake conversions.. i think they are spacifically from MKIV N/A supras

but really.... it would be low priority to spend big bucks on a big break kit.... unless you plan on doing some track work with an 800 bhp beast... (they do look bad ass though, it could just go somewhere else)

places i have found them.. aapmotorsports has a kit near 2,000$... 6 piston
i saw a brembo kit but i seem to have misplaced the link....

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
well.....as I said I want to upgrade my brakes and just doing rotors is a nominal improvement. I've had 40 year old british sports cars with better brakes than my supra, so I'd like something with more than one piston. My question about parts from other cars being used stems from a MK4 guy asking me if I could just bolt up the fronts from his car. I doubted it, but figured I'd do some research to see my options. Both HPF and 935 have kits for our cars in 13 and 14"

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
it's a full conversion to the mkiv brakes(a lot of work i woudl assume). i say go with the big brakes... just be sure to have some rims that will show those suckers off... i want them they just cost so much..

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Somebody should let Baer borrow their car for a couple of weeks to make a kit for our cars. I had one of their kits on my eclipse, 13" cross drilled and slotted rotors and C5 calipers, all for 899. I remember racing an accord v6 and the light in front of us turned red, I saw the accord braking in my rear view, but I kept going a little more to prove a point, lol. My buddy was yelling over the walkies "stop stop stop" and when i finally hit the brakes, I was going about 75-80 and stopped about 20ft from the light. It was amazing, the seatbelt was pushed on my chest so hard I got a pretty bad ass bruise. Plus with 17" rota rims people would gawk at the brakes at a stoplight. Big brakes are a must when you start increasing horsepower, it makes you feel so much more confident in your machine.

eclipse_pic_7.jpg

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Brake kits are expensive.
I've been checking into them myself for several years. But I can't afford them.
In my opinion, if you upgrade the brakes, you might as well go all the way and get both front and rear, 6/4 pot large rotor upgrades. If you get these 300Z or MkIV upgrades, then you're not really upgrading them a lot.
You can go cheap and just get cyro slotted rotors with performance pads. Buth then its not much of an upgrade from stock. But its a lot cheaper.