Brake master upgrade?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their master cylinder to a larger one.
I remember reading that someone suggested it might be possible to upgrade to a 4 Runner brake master.
The reason I ask is that I've swapped to Cobra front brakes, and wasn't sure if I would need a larger master to go with them.
If it is possibe, I was wondering if there was any modifications necessary to the brake line connections- I have abs.

Thanks.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ok, Well I was also wondering, because 4Runner masters are about half the cost, and I might need to repair/ replace mine.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I think it is more for Toyota pickups when they upgrade the brakes. I've heard some pickups run a landcruiser master cylinder. But if you got the driftmotion Cobra brakes kit then it has the ss brake lines, which will adapt to existing brake lines and provide a slightly better feel in the pedal (not 100%certain about the pedal feel part). And you could add a master cylinder brace between it and the strut tower (beech performance) to get a better pedal feel too.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Poodles;1829591 said:
drjonez used to sell a larger one and wouldn't tell where it came from. Shame as he hasn't been around in a while...
Could track down someone who bought one, find any part numbers, manufacturer info etc off of the master cylinder. Assuming he didnt go through the efforts of sanding all the information off.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Dr. Jonez is smart...he prolly did. :)

And thanks for the offer, Airhead, but mine works well enough. It's just a bit soft on the first push, then firms up.
It may be a leaking vac booster, so I have to test first, to see what's exactly at fault.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Rockauto has both re-manufactured boosters and new master-cylinders. Putting on a new MC would prob help, and there is always the booster rebuild from driftmotion if your on a budget.