Brake Light Problem, help please

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
okay well... stoplight switch is new, Bulbs are new, lamp failure box is still good (checked by Toyota Master Tech) he said that possibly there is ground wire for the tail lights that could be loose or has corrosion(sp?) on it, anyone have an idea of where this ground may be located?

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Are your brake light not working when you depress the brake. I had the same problem and it was an incorrectly adjusted stoplight switch. Adjust it so that the red "pin" touches the brake pedal when you depress it slightly. It could be possible that the "pin" isn't close if at all enough to the pedal. If not, then yeah, it has to be a ground.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If its a ground problem, just check for power at the bulb receptacle using a multi-meter when someone depresses the brake pedal. Use chasis as the ground for the multi-meter.

If you don't get any voltage when the brake pedal is depressed on any of the bulb contacts then its not a ground problem.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Next to the bulb socket is a phillips-head screw holding the metal frame to the plastic lens. That screw also holds a ground wire. Mine gets loose every few years causing the brake lamp failure indicator on the dash to light. Check that screw.

The on-line TSRM shows the locations of all the grounds to the chassis. There's one back in the hatch area, but I'd check that screw on the lens first.

Asterix