bov to atmosphere

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
I have an 88 7mgte with the basic supporting modifications SAFC 2 and wideband to tune, 550, lexus, fuel pump and regulator, holset turbo and so on to support this setup. But with out recirculating the bov air back into the system i cannot let it out to the atmosphere. I would really like to have a larger BOV to be able to let the larger amount of bypass air created by the holset at into the atmosphere as my recirculating bosh one from Drift Motion is making the turbo surge.

But when i Blow off to the atmosphere my car richens up and stalls. I have tried to tune the SAFC 2 with the decel air set up with no luck. I am just curious to how others have been able to accomplish this with out stalling the engine after every pull.

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated! Im up for trying anything, well besides a mafpro, that will have to wait...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Isc might be dirty.

Also at your stage might be better to switch to a maft pro and go map. Next best thing besides a standalone.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
you need to run a speed density setup such as the maft translator or maft pro .this will replace your afm and you will then be able to run your bov to the atmosphere . their was also dashpot mod that could be done to the dashpot on the intake to keep the rpms high an extra second when you let off the throttle so you wouldnt stall but as far as tuning many people seem to be happy with the maft pro

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
the idle air control is clean, i will check out my dashpot to try what another member did by restricting the flow, but id rather not have excessive high rpm drops... ill look into the maft with speed density if that fails i guess

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
A little known secret i've learned over the years is the TB is the answer. There are adjustment screws on the TB, slightly open the TB and no more stalling. Yes, it will slightly up your idle depending how much you do it, but its an easy solution to no stalling when venting to ATM

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
What situations would make a BOV, going to atmosphere, be able to stall the engine? I've run ATM on my car for severeal years, owned another MK3 with ATM BOV, driven 10+ with the same. Never stalled.

HitmansEVO

Dropper
Nov 19, 2008
Missouri
+1 for recirculating. Tuning with SAFC or the adjustment screw on the TB are bandaid fixes that don't address the problem you're having.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I bought a recirc fitting for my HKS SSQV. Bonus (to me) it gets rid of the whistle.

Some cars won't stall, but they'll probably give a black puff for running super rich.

A MAP translator (MAF-T Pro, VPC) will allow venting to atmosphere with no ill effects, since the air isn't really metered until it's in the intake manifold. It's a nice solution, and I'd like to go there eventually.

supraman72

Ballin out of control
Dec 28, 2009
Franklin
Ok, so my car has the same issues with stalling, Its an 88 7mgte and when not recirculating i have rough idle and stall when decel. I have cleaned the idle air valve and adjusted the tps to speck. But a friends 89 7mgte runs absolutly fine with out recirculating at idle and under hard rev then decel as if the bov was recurculated. Why is this? Its frustrating and the only thing i can think of is if they have different computers from the two year differences?

Any ideas?

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
BOV = Blow Off Valve (Venting to atmosphere)
BPV = Bypass Valve (Recirculates back into intake)

Bugs me when people say "stock bov" and "bov vented to asmotphere"

I never had any stalling issues what so ever on my old stock Supra with a SSQV, but this supra came with some cheapo bov, and it stalls all the time if you dont let off the throttle properly at the right time. However the adjustment on this one is crap and I can hear a vacuum leak from it at idle... time for an upgrade.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraman72;1745924 said:
Ok, so my car has the same issues with stalling, Its an 88 7mgte and when not recirculating i have rough idle and stall when decel. I have cleaned the idle air valve and adjusted the tps to speck. But a friends 89 7mgte runs absolutly fine with out recirculating at idle and under hard rev then decel as if the bov was recurculated. Why is this? Its frustrating and the only thing i can think of is if they have different computers from the two year differences?

Any ideas?
Maybe you have a leak at the valve.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
There will always be individual differences between motors, even if the electronics are the same, particularly if neither one is exactly new.

Some people's cars stall when they vent to atmosphere, some don't. Some just get black puffs from the super rich moment, others might get afterfires.

Even with the recirc, I get some black smoke and the occasional afterfire. Without it, I got a lot more, but hardly ever did I actually stall. My engine is an '87 GTE.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
What is afterfire? I would guess it is excess gas going into the exhaust and then igniting. I have a sound like that sometimes in my car with stock BPV. It's like a popping sound. It sounds like a flame is coming out of the exhaust its cool haha. But It's probably not enough gas to actually come out the tip of the exhaust. Am I right?