Bouncy Speedometer Needle?

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
I just took the speedometer off and removed all the old dry grease off the back of the speedometer and I use lithium grease spray and spread it on the speedometer cable and drove around for a mile and kept adding more. That seems to help when I'm cruising but on first gear and second gear it still boss is a little bit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
jetjock;1989222 said:
Can't just grease it there. Either pull the inner out then clean and re-grease (if you're anal there's grease made just for that) or lube it overnight using the old zip lock bag and oil trick.

I'll do that thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
Havent driven my car musch this year but just noticed the bouncing needle and it bothers me to look at it. Do you need to pull out the speedo head to get at the inner cable or can you disconnect the cables under the car and pull it out from there? Is it usually the cable that is clower to the tranny that gets gummed up or the one up top at the speedo head?

If one were to use the proper speedo cable lube, where would you get that from?

Thanks

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I recently had my speedometer cable replaced with a brand new OEM one. It eliminated most, but not all of the vibration in the needle at low speeds. I think it has more to do with the fact that its a run by a cable instead of digital, like our modern cars. My old Pontiac did the same thing way back when, and we pulled the cable and lubricated it (white silicon grease).

Broken and jumpy speedos due to the cable is pretty common in our cars. Thats why I just opted for a new one. I was pretty sure my old one was original.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I'm having this happen but it's actually the speedometer itself. I swapped out an old unit because the trip odometer didn't work (speed and regular odometer did). The unit I installed just needle-bounces in the mornings and won't read over 25 mph until the interior/dash warm up during the course of the day (though I have a working trip). I'm gonna put the old speedo back in for the time being as it's really, really annoying, not to mention that the speed sensor in the speedo seems to be keeping the car from shifting into o/d when I first start driving in the morning.