Bought an AR5 Trans

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Woohoo, I finally found a good deal on an Isuzu AR5 transmission! The plan is to swap my supra bell and tail housing and run a GM clutch disk.
I can't wait to see how my supra will feel with triple cone synchronizers!

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Take LOTS of pics!

AISIM%20AR-5.jpg

Greg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
A higher final gear would be very nice too. (I looked into this when I rebuilt my 154, but I would only pick up a few rpm with the gears that would work, and compared to the cost of buying two gears and the other items needed to make it work, I decided to spend that money on gas. (For a few years...)

This would really be nice to find easy to source low miles transmissions that will "bolt" into place with a few simple mods. (It looks like we would only use the center housing with the gearset. The shifter and tail housing would be R154 as would the bell housing. The use of a GM splined clutch disk would cut down the replacement costs, and open up many options for friciton materials too.

What are the gear ratios for this transmission. (I'm too lazy to search the internet and find out for myself. Also do you have them compared to the R154 while I'm asking? LOL)

Thanks in advance, and I hope it works out great. (A final gear that would put the 7M at anything under or near 2k rpm at 80mph would be perfect.) Right now it's above 2500rpm at that speed on my 88T.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Adjuster said:
A higher final gear would be very nice too. (I looked into this when I rebuilt my 154, but I would only pick up a few rpm with the gears that would work, and compared to the cost of buying two gears and the other items needed to make it work, I decided to spend that money on gas. (For a few years...)

This would really be nice to find easy to source low miles transmissions that will "bolt" into place with a few simple mods. (It looks like we would only use the center housing with the gearset. The shifter and tail housing would be R154 as would the bell housing. The use of a GM splined clutch disk would cut down the replacement costs, and open up many options for friciton materials too.

What are the gear ratios for this transmission. (I'm too lazy to search the internet and find out for myself. Also do you have them compared to the R154 while I'm asking? LOL)

Thanks in advance, and I hope it works out great. (A final gear that would put the 7M at anything under or near 2k rpm at 80mph would be perfect.) Right now it's above 2500rpm at that speed on my 88T.

Adjuster,
The gears on the Isuzu version of the AR5 aren't clear (at least not to me). As far as I can tell, they'd be the same as an equivolent year tacoma. However, they could also be the same as the Colorados. Either way, it won't help too much in reducing cruise RPM.

98 Taco: 3.830, 2.062, 1.436, 1.000, 0.838, R=4.22
Supra: 3.251, 1.955, 1.310, 1.000, 0.753, R=3.18
Colorado: 3.75, 2.26, 1.37, 1.00, 0.73 , R=3.67

Personally, I welcome the lower first gear as I do a lot of stop-and-go driving. Hopefully, I won't completely fall out of the powerband on 1-2 shifts.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Blue87T(Dan) said:
I want to drive it once you've completed the install. If it can shift like butter and handle power I want one.

Good luck.

Dan

Dan, you're first in line (after me) for a test drive.
Greg, I'll document this to the best of my abilities. We've been talking about doing this for a long time. I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig...but opportunity knocks.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
A couple of questions. What Isuzu is it out of and is it currently a 2WD or 4WD? What's your game plan?

Greg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Greg55_99 said:
A couple of questions. What Isuzu is it out of and is it currently a 2WD or 4WD? What's your game plan?

Greg

It's out of a 99 Trooper 4x4. Plan is to swap bell and tail housings w/the R154. To my knowldedge, there isn't a 4x2 version of the AR5 for the Isuzu?

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
limequat said:
It's out of a 99 Trooper 4x4. Plan is to swap bell and tail housings w/the R154. To my knowldedge, there isn't a 4x2 version of the AR5 for the Isuzu?

Oooooo..... I hope you haven't bitten off to much on this one. I'm not sure just swapping tailhousing from a 2WD to the 4WD trans will make it ready for use. The output shafts may not be the same lengths. I'm HOPING they are. I'm also HOPING that you can scrounge up a yoke to fit the shaft as well. There may have been 2WD versions of the Isuzu AR-5 overseas but I don't think they were ever over here. The Colorado\Canyon 2WD MA5 is the closest. I'm crossing my fingers..... :icon_bigg

Greg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Greg55_99 said:
Oooooo..... I hope you haven't bitten off to much on this one. I'm not sure just swapping tailhousing from a 2WD to the 4WD trans will make it ready for use. The output shafts may not be the same lengths. I'm HOPING they are. I'm also HOPING that you can scrounge up a yoke to fit the shaft as well. There may have been 2WD versions of the Isuzu AR-5 overseas but I don't think they were ever over here. The Colorado\Canyon 2WD MA5 is the closest. I'm crossing my fingers..... :icon_bigg

Greg

Eh, I'm not too concerned. I was half figuring on swapping the tailshafts too. If the toyota parts don't fit, I'm sure colorado parts will. Either that or custom fab.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Alright, my trans finally came in. Greg, you are correct. I may have bitten off a bit too much. I was thinking that the output shaft was seperate from the main shaft - similar to automatics. Unfortunately, they are all one shaft, so swapping to a a supra output means a LOT of work. My options at this point are to do a full rebuild on the R154, using AR5 components (gears, synchros, etc) or look for a 2WD AR5.

Side-by-side pics:

Attachments

• Set174_04.jpg
    Set174_04.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Set175_02.jpg
    Set175_02.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 55

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Tailhousings off:

Attachments

• Set177_01.jpg
    Set177_01.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Set177_02.jpg
    Set177_02.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Set177_05.jpg
    Set177_05.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 42

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Ugh! Sorry to hear this... but... it is educational. Methinks thou should pass the tranny (and bell) onto someone that could'th use it as is. No fair, no foul. Anyway, while you've got it on the floor, what is the EXACT length of the input shaft? Edge of the case to the tip?

Greg

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Greg55_99 said:
Ugh! Sorry to hear this... but... it is educational. Methinks thou should pass the tranny (and bell) onto someone that could'th use it as is. No fair, no foul. Anyway, while you've got it on the floor, what is the EXACT length of the input shaft? Edge of the case to the tip?

Greg

Well, I'm not quite giving up yet. I know of one 4x4 guy that has installed supra gears on a 4x4 shaft. I'm essentially doing the opposite. Just need a press and a lot of work. However, if I do happen to come across a buyer that can give me my money back ...

I'll check into the shaft length. I'll get the exact spline counts too. Is it necessary to remove the front bearing retainer to get a good input shaft measurement?

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
No need to remove the front cover, just the bellhousing. Measure from the edge of the case (where the bolts go in) to the tip of the input shaft.

Greg

PS. How about a Supra Turbo Diesel? Mix one 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel with one 3.9L Dakota V6 bellhousing and throw in an R154 and Voila! :evil2:

attachment.php

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Well, if you look at the gears, the 5th gear is just slightly different on the Taco truck, than the Supra. It would lower the engine RPM slightly, and possibly give you better cruise fuel economy, but the cost of the gears v/s the cost of the gas your going to save was minimal in the final breakdown. (About 250.00 for the gears, and no firm data on how much fuel I'd have saved over the stock gears, so I decided not to change over 5th gear.)

Larger or bettter synchro's would be very nice. (My R154 is like new. New second gears, and all new bearings, synchro's, thrust washer etc. And I coated many of the parts like the cases, bushing and thrust washer.) It still shifts hard into gears however. :( But I know that it's like new. (And I'm using a C's shifter, so I think that is part of the hard shifting problem, I really do not like the C's actually. It looks great, and it is a short shifter, but you need that leverage the stock one has to shift the R154, especially when it's new.)

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Greg55_99 said:
No need to remove the front cover, just the bellhousing. Measure from the edge of the case (where the bolts go in) to the tip of the input shaft.

Greg

PS. How about a Supra Turbo Diesel? Mix one 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel with one 3.9L Dakota V6 bellhousing and throw in an R154 and Voila! :evil2:

attachment.php

Not on your life, Greg! However, if you want to talk about Cummins, I may be listening :naughty: