Bought a rebuilt block need help.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
I bought a rebuilt block a week or two ago. Can clearly see that it has been rebuilt from all the markings on parts. Only problem I have is it was sitting in a storage for about 2 years. Any body have any tips on disassembling it without damaging it? It wont spin freely by hand because it was somewhat uncovered and things are sticking together. Im gonna have it remachined because it was not prepped for a metal head gasket and I'm going to run one. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If its sticking its most likely rings.. so you'd most likely be looking at a bare minimum of boring 20 thou..

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
While this is true I honestly have no plans to go forged internals. I want a nice GT cruiser not a race car. LOL aiming for about 400rwhp and be dead reliable.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cylinders might just need to be honed.

Just take it apart and see what everything looks like.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
WD-40 on the piston rings before you pull. Hope the crank journals are okay.

400WHP will still be fine with stock internals. I went with forged myself though I don't feel that I absolutely had to. I've got stock rods which have been shot-peened. I'm building for better than my power goals, so that if I change my mind later, I don't have to tear down and start over.

I'd be going even further if I knew where I could find a forged crank. :)

If the block's been done before, then measure the bore before you decide on things.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Thanks for the insight guys. This site is always very helpful and full of knowledge. I'll post pics later on of the block in question as well as my current MK3.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Don't all Toyota's after like 1980 or something like that come with forged cranks and rods?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Surface rust could have developed on the cylinder walls and possibly on the rings, most likely the reason why its sticky. Disassemble engine down to short block, remove oil pan and let soak with a good penetrating lube, a light weight oil works also. Seeing on how the engine was rebuilt you should have no gouging on the cylinder walls, and they should stay that way if your careful removing pistons. A hone will be cheap and effective, have the crank journals polished while you have it removed. And remember to wear latex gloves when installing main & rod bearings.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Thanks 89niner that's more along the tips I was looking for. I bought it as a short block head and bare block. Both are assembled but seperate. I let it soak with a little oil last night about to go see if it's in a more manageable state now before work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As already said, use something like WD-40 to unstick the rings. Do you have any pictures so we can see how bad it is?

Crank is indeed forged. If you have to replace pistons, forged pistons aren't much more than cast, and they're good insurance. Stock rods are quite strong as well if they're prepped, but forged rods are pretty cheap as well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That is my understanding on the crank bearing journals. Toyota isn't real big on grinding any of the their crankshafts. Even when forged steel.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Will get pictures up tonight. Busy yesterday with work then lots of house work. Now I'm back here on the grind at work again. Thanks for the information thus far guys. This community is so much better than the bullshit Honda scene I thought about being in.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
Motor spins freely with the help of some WD-40! Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna disassemble it tonight and get it ready to take to the machine shop soon. Anyone know if Bryan Maloof is still doing work or a good shop in GA that is very familiar with 7M's? Thanks again.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
forged and hardened are independent processes - forging is the rough forming process while hardening is a surface treatment.