Boost/Vacuum gauge on N/A?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Taken from http://www.ma70.com/bishop/namod.html. As I'm making preventative maintenance, thought that maybe one of those would be good...

Boost/Vacuum gauge - this is actually a handy gauge to have on a normally aspirated car. Knowing engine vacuum will tell you how healthy the motor is, and if there's a problem you can sometimes determine it by the amount of vacuum. You can get away with a really cheap one if you want.

What do you think?
Where should it be connected to get useful readings?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I remember an old muscle car guy running one and he could tell where to shift because of it, but I can't remember how...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
IJ.;1253588 said:

Really really? :aigo:
But what would that vacuum-number mean to me. I'm stupid and don't want to research the internet:naughty:
Cheapeast I can find now on ebay would be one with a sensor that could be mounted anywhere and then wires from the sensor can be ran into cabin and onto the gauge. Would those be reliable?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
That your eggs are done ;)

The engine will produce different amounts of vacuum under different conditions ie: Idle/WoT in time you'll notice trends so it can be good to monitor for impending doom!

Often problems will show up on the gauge long before a mechanical issue stops the engine.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Everything that has to do with food is important!
So the cheaper the ''better''?
Should be ok?
boost_smoke.jpg

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
So I installed the vacuum gauge. I connected it, like JJ said, from the back (firewall side) of the intake plenum where the vacuum for the ECO thing, Cruisecontrol and something else is.
Problem - connecting it directly to the plenum gives nice, fast reacting readings, connecting it with the T splitter doesn't give so fast reactions (when in neutral and giving throttle - I can't drive the car, one brake line rusted through).
Should it be so or am I looking wrong or is there another solution?
p1276301_1.jpg

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I haven't noticed any free vacuum ports. Any suggestions where one could be hiding? :)
I just have this, but I tried and it doesn't suck...
p1276471_1.jpg

87 N/A without EGR/charcoal canister if that helps...

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
I had no trouble running mine T-pieced into the heater/cruise control port.

I was playing around with some things one day and left a vac line open, and got bad readings on the gauge. Make sure it's all sealing up.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not that it should make much of a difference but I never said to connect it there. I was going to suggest the same about vacuum leaks. For example I can readily tell from my gage's behavior if say, the little heater valve line pops off, even it it comes off all the way over at the valve.