boost solinoid

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
ok here's the deal. I'm not exactly sure I've got my boost solinoid hooked up quite rite. I've got the gm boost solinoid that hpf sells and need to make sure I'm hooking it up correctly. the red line is from my vacuume sorce and the black line goes to my waste gate actuator.

best I can get with my camera

Attachments

• boost solinoid.jpg
    boost solinoid.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 53
  • boost solinoid 001.jpg
    boost solinoid 001.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 39
  • boost solinoid 004.jpg
    boost solinoid 004.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
It looks like you plumbed it between the the port on the turbo and the port on the WG actuator. That's correct. From there you could only mix up the ports on the solenoid (barring any wiring issues). I can't tell from your pics and the HPF doesn't have a pic. Are you having any boost control issues? What controls these anyway? Self contained?

Last edited:

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
I'm using the maft pro to controll it and i'm getting lots of spiking that I can get settled down if I have it hooked up opposite as I have it now. the way I got it hooked up it holds right about 10 psi.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Here's what I found on it...looks like you might have your hooked up backwards.

GM Boost Control Solenoid:

Port 1: Silver plug, by itself on one end.
Port 2: Opposite port, next to port 3
Port 3: Comes with a small filter on it.

I don't believe the solenoid is polarity sensitive.

At rest: Port 1 and 2 allow air to pass. No air can travel from Port 1 to 3, or 2 to 3.

Energized: Port 2 and 3 allow air to pass. No air can pass from 1 to 2 or 1 to 3.

Port 1: To turbocharger, or optionally another line on the compressor side.
Port 2: To wastegate
Port 3: Back into intake, after the MAF.

Port 3 (optional): Just vent to atmosphere, but you should put a filter on it in case of reversal of flow. The GM solenoid comes with a small filter on this port out of the box, so just leave it on if you wish to port to atmosphere.

How this works...

At rest, the solenoid allows the wastegate to see all boost pressure.

When energized, the solenoid blocks pressure from the charge air from reaching the WG, so the WG sees the pressure from the intake or atmosphere. The moment after the solenoid is energized, any air pressure on the wastegate blows back out to the intake/atmosphere, relieving any air pressure on the wastegate.

Downsides: If the solenoid fails in the energized position, your wastegate will NOT open. However, the same general risk is present in a bleed setup. If it somehow fails in the energized position, it will bleed as much air as the stock restrictor will allow, but never absolutely stop pressure from getting to the WG. Failure in the energized state of either setup will cause massive overboost problems.

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
thank you very much jdub. that does explain alot to me and I think that write up should be included into the maft-pro stuff for dumb people like me.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
djordan97 said:
thank you very much jdub. that does explain alot to me and I think that write up should be included into the maft-pro stuff for dumb people like me.

why? that solenoid is unsupported. if you had purchased the solenoid that's made for the MAFT pro, you would have received instructions.