Boost Problem =-)

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I always keep a good eye on all my gauges:icon_bigg and, this particular day I noticed my boost is not normal.:nono: I havent driven my car in about a month or so, it is a completley stock 7mgte with no upgrades, stock turbo, stock everything! When I punch the gas my boost goes past stock 6-7 psi and pegs (not normal for my car) My question is, is it a wastegate issue? Thanks:evil2:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Could be.

Is the hose still intact on the wastegate to compressor housing? If so, apply 8 psi to the wastegate and you should see or even feel the rod open the flapper in the turbine.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Honestly I havent even had a chance to look. It doesnt run like it has a vacuum leak, Ill give the line a lookover though. Ive never diagnosed a phenomenon like this, how do I apply pressure to the wastegate?

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1904142 said:
Does it seem faster?? are you hitting fuel cut??

Fuel cut would mean the gates not being regulated properly. Go over all your hoses, also check for codes honestly reason being my gauge is also pegged out all the time, but I'm running a upgraded CT & after market gauge. So I'm not running a boost pressure sending unit. In turn my code 34 is always popped :/

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for the replies, My car does seem a little more agressive, It runs like a champ just like it should. It is real smooth an consistant but according to my boost gauge im over 8 PSI (the boost gauge is pegged). The only reason that this is a problem is because I have never read a reading above 6ish PSI and I dont want to blow the head off the car << exaggeration.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
TweeT91109;1904158 said:
Fuel cut would mean the gates not being regulated properly. Go over all your hoses, also check for codes honestly reason being my gauge is also pegged out all the time, but I'm running a upgraded CT & after market gauge. So I'm not running a boost pressure sending unit. In turn my code 34 is always popped :/

Wouldn't cause a 34. The only thing the pressure sensor is used for is the factory boost gauge.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Backlash2032;1904473 said:
Wouldn't cause a 34. The only thing the pressure sensor is used for is the factory boost gauge.

Hmmmm thats is good to know, I always wondered why there was a "boost sensor" and a MAS. My other toyota has a boost sensor too and doubles as the MAP sensor.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Backlash2032;1904473 said:

TweeT91109;1904158 said:

Last I looked, code 34 is abnormal turbo pressure aka fuel cut.