Boost leak like symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Just before I blew my HG, I was experiencing acceleration problems similar to a big boost leak. Engine seemed to bog down big time under boost. Thinking I had another boost leak in my stock IC, I decided to replace the entire assy. After replacing the IC, I was having the same problem. Upon further investigation, I found that it was related to throttle position, and not to boost. I replaced the TPS, but still the same problem. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I need to solve this before I rebuild the engine.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Is the car throwing any codes? That's always the first thing to check. What type of symptoms is it showing? Is it at a certain rpm range? Is it at wot, or just cruising around? A little more information may help someone give you a definitive answer. Good luck.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
suprahero;1183622 said:
Is the car throwing any codes? That's always the first thing to check. What type of symptoms is it showing? Is it at a certain rpm range? Is it at wot, or just cruising around? A little more information may help someone give you a definitive answer. Good luck.

At full throttle, the mil would come on, and then go off as soon as you let off the pedal. As for codes, I pulled them, but I can't remember what they were.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
GrimJack;1183624 said:
Have you tested for boost leaks? Have you checked for codes?

How did you discover it was linked to throttle position?

As i said, I replaced the entire IC assy., with 3 inch aluminum, and silicone hoses. It's not a boost leak, and I determined this by slowly applying the throttle, and listening and feeling for it to happen. If I kept the throttle below a certain spot, it would boost just fine, but as soon as I pushed the throttle past that point, blammo, she would bog down big time.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
suprahero;1183622 said:

I can't remember the codes, and the rpm range is from past the max working throttle position, about 2300 rpm, and goes to redline. If I babied it, I could drive just fine, but push the pedal down just a bit more, and look out. It acts like a sizable boost leak, but it's definitely not. :aigo:

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
grimreaper;1183642 said:
you fix the bhg?

No, not yet, as I have no money to do it with. I want to solve the acceleration problem before I rebuild the engine. When I get this thing running again, I want it running perfect out of the blocks.:biglaugh:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It sounds like the maf isn't hooked up good or you have a boost leak that you're not seeing or hearing.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
suprahero;1183658 said:
It sounds like the maf isn't hooked up good or you have a boost leak that you're not seeing or hearing.

It seems you're not following me. It can't be the maf, as below a certain throttle position, the engine runs, and boosts fine. What has a maf got to do with throttle position?

:1zhelp:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
my $$$ is on coolant in the chamber at this point. wait until it gets worse, the car will idle like shit with NO power at any rpm.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
grimreaper;1183677 said:
my $$$ is on coolant in the chamber at this point. wait until it gets worse, the car will idle like shit with NO power at any rpm.

This was happening for a few weeks, and I wasn't losing any coolant at all. After the gasket went, I thought of that possibility, but it just doesn't seem to fit the evidence. And the engine is sitting on the garage floor right now.:cry:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Just because you replaced the IC and piping doesn't mean you don't have leaks.

Without knowing what the codes where that you pulled there isn't really anything to go on as computer controlled cars WILL tell you what is wrong with them...

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
grimreaper;1184459 said:
With out the engine IN the car i wouldnt be concerned with this right now.

Well, I want an idea as to what the true problem is, so it won't happen again when I put the motor back in. Doh!:3d_frown:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
speculating what it COULD have been is pointless, your going to encounter many small issues like this once you put the motor back in and double check all your connections and hoses and stuff. not worth the effort at this point unless you want to double check all your sensors with a multimeter, other then that, how can you narrow down possibilities?

Last edited:

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
i have the same problem and have not been able to figure it out but the fuel cut only happen when im at wot in the upper rpm like 4500 and up then it would hit the cut anybody got any idea

Status
Not open for further replies.