Boost creep problems

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Setup: 1.5JZ 264/272 cams, ITS 67mm, p-trim, .68ar, ebay 40mm HKS knockoff, drewgo manifold, 3" DP to 3.75" exhaust

Is this wastegate big enough to control this turbo? The wastegate seems to hold untill about 5500rpm then it creeps past 20 psi and I let off.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The Drewgo manifold is the problem, they are known to creep with 67 or larger turbo's. I would honestly go with another manifold, I just went though all this recently on a 2jz, DBB T67. With a lot of work and fabrication you can get it to hold, but I would just buy another style manifold for the $200-300 that they cost. The Drewgo manis are fine on the 1jz but the 2jz just has too much exhaust flow to keep the boost down.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
hvyman;1520928 said:
you sure the problem is not the KNOCK OFF waste gate?

Are you correcting my grammar? I'm sorry my lack of spacing on one word can't get my point across to your superior grammatical brains. Or are you saying that the wastegate being a knock off is not going to work? Because I've had 2 setups with knockoff wastegates that worked fine..

GrimJack;1521013 said:
Any ideas how much power you're pushing through it?

I've got the 44mm TIAL on a rather similar setup, and it's working ok...

I'm not sure what you mean by power, like amount of air to the wastegate?

becauseican;1521092 said:
The Drewgo manifold is the problem, they are known to creep with 67 or larger turbo's. I would honestly go with another manifold, I just went though all this recently on a 2jz, DBB T67. With a lot of work and fabrication you can get it to hold, but I would just buy another style manifold for the $200-300 that they cost. The Drewgo manis are fine on the 1jz but the 2jz just has too much exhaust flow to keep the boost down.

That's what me and a buddy were discussing yesterday. Since it only has the wastegate routing from runners 5 & 6 it's not very efficient. Guess I'll just sell the Drewgo and find something with dual wastegate runner provisions.

Thanks for the insight.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
7Mboost;1521582 said:
Are you correcting my grammar? I'm sorry my lack of spacing on one word can't get my point across to your superior grammatical brains. Or are you saying that the wastegate being a knock off is not going to work? Because I've had 2 setups with knockoff wastegates that worked fine..

I believe he was saying that becuase it is a knock off, it may be the issue. Just because previous experience has worked, does not mean it trumps the logic that knock offs can be junk. : p

I'm not sure what you mean by power, like amount of air to the wastegate?

Too much air bypassing the wastegate.

That's what me and a buddy were discussing yesterday. Since it only has the wastegate routing from runners 5 & 6 it's not very efficient. Guess I'll just sell the Drewgo and find something with dual wastegate runner provisions.

Thanks for the insight.

Sounds like you're on the right track! : p

My replies in bold.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
becauseican;1521092 said:

which manifold would you recommend? I see a few of the ebay ones I could easily get re braced or fitted to my car and wastegate and such? I am just looking for one that will not leave me with boost creep.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
7Mboost;1523041 said:
which manifold would you recommend? I see a few of the ebay ones I could easily get re braced or fitted to my car and wastegate and such? I am just looking for one that will not leave me with boost creep.

Full race.

What spring do you have in the wastegate?