Boost! but no Boost!!!

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
So My car is being well... being a typical supra lol. I had a buddy who wanted a "good" ride in the supra. So we took off and in 3rd gear I lost boost. I can find anything disconnected or anything. It smokes black when turbo spools. It spits and sputters. And when the turbo spools you can hear a loud whoosh of air and the Turbine wind up. Boost gauge says im getting the 6 pounds though!!!! it Dies when I clutch it sometimes. or idles down to like 300 and than back up to 1000. And I lost alot of power too. Would this be a bad turbo??:1zhelp:

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Sounds like the boost leak I had a while back. Check all your hoses for cracks before you blame the turbo- one of my hoses split where I couldn't see it.

SUPERSNAIL

You have much to learn...
Nov 13, 2008
Albuquerque N.M.
If you cant find any damaged hoses look at your BOV. Is it stock? If so try to blow through if its a aftermarket make sure its closing completly.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Haha. Check 'em all, it never hurts. Mine was split between the 3000 pipe and the intake manifold, somewhere in that area.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
K. I hope I can get it figured out before Friday! But COULD it be the turbo??? I wouldnt think so as my boost gauge goes up to 6. and when I let off it still blows off. just not as much

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You have a boost leak. Most common places are:

1) The charge pipe right off the bottom of the turbo
2) The coupler between the 3000 pipe and throttle body

But it's not uncommon for the old brittle rubber pipes to leak in other areas. Check EVERY connection in the IC pipes. And don't try to boost with a boost leak. If you have a large enough leak, you can over spin the turbo, thus killing it.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
k im tryin to find it. I think it might be the bov. Cus when turbo starts to spool it has a whistle. and when I let off I hear the same whistle. aand my bov has never sounded like that before.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
you should also check your intercooler, and the pipes from turbo to intercooler. Also check the small pipe thats is inside the fender to the intercooler.

Also try a different blow off valve, stock or aftermarket see if it's that.

If not then check your turbo & manifold gaskets, prob. need to change them.

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
did it happen shortly after you installed that BOV, mine had the same problem, just not all the black smoke. i would check that BOV's vacuum lines.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
so today I checked the MAF and its supposed to be between 400 and 800, and it was like 3 or 4 times that lol. and No the bov has been on there since I bought it

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
I had a crack in the coupler between the 3000 pipe and the Throttle body and I boosted but had no power. The crack was on the bottom side and I did not see it till I started yanking hoses to try to figure out where the leak was. When I pulled it I didn't see it at first and started pulling off other things. When I went to put it back on I had turned it a little and I could see the split as I was putting it back on. If you can't see it build a boost leak detector and it should reveal your problem.