Bolt on Big Brake Kit For around 300$.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I'm picking up what you're laying down. I could do an estimation when I test fit my calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Background info: I have FD RX7 (16") rims on the front at the moment, with the longer IS300 studs and a 10mm hubcentric spacer (because the FD rims barely rub against one of the control arms at full lock without it).

Picture of stock caliper:

p2044114_1.jpg

I took off the passenger wheel and caliper, left the stock rotor on and test fit the caliper to see where it would lay. Picture:

p2044114_2.jpg

It *does* fit underneath the FD rim. However, it is barely rubbing against the spokes in the picture (as in, I can press the wheel against the hub and move it and it barely scratches the paint on the caliper). Kind of annoying. Since I have a 10mm hubcentric spacer anyways, I'll go buy a 20mm hubcentric spacer which should give me more than enough room, and with the longer studs that won't be an issue anyways. To be honest a 15mm spacer would probably work but I don't want to return it for whatever reason.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Hey, I was actually looking for the longer is300 lug studs. What is the size of the studs and do you have a part number for them? Thanks!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
so i still haven't got mine on yet!? i ordered a second set of hub rings and they fit nice and tight so i got that issue solved. now the bolts i ordered dont fit in the knuckle!!! theyre the same part number as the link so how do you tell if you're ordering the skinny or fat ones? nobody has 10.9 bolts in a m12x1.5 theyre all 1.75 thread. i have some from ace that would work but theyre 8.8 and im not risking using lower grade hardware on brakes. they worked for mock up though. im considering trying to turn down the bolts i ordered on my friends lathe but not positive what im gonna do yet. we need to find a place that has the correct bolts! heres the ones i ordered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140764239675?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Sidewinder, I look thru that site and used the "verify my car" and it said the bolts won't fit 00 s500 calipers. Or does it fit?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
They fit the calipers I bought on ebay, I'm not sure why their 'verify my car' doesn't work for any of the cars I tried (2001-2005 S430s and S500s). But, they fit the calipers I bought. I did do a bunch of part number searching before I settled on that website.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
sooooooo i finally got one side complete!!! gave up trying to get both sides done tonight. its been quite the ordeal from having to get wheel spacers to extended studs to cutting studs cause too long to first hub centric rings not being tight enough fit to ordering the wrong bolts was getting a little ridicules.....:aigo:. also broke my hand so thats held me up too. after seeing them done though i think its worth it. looking forward to seeing how they perform. i ended up getting bolts of a 96 e430 from the junk yard. was the only mercedes they had and after getting the bolts they work better than the ones i ordered even if they fit. the ones i ordered were too short really. i ended up using a old 7m arp headstud washer cause nobody has wanted to buy them so ive had this set of studs for like 2 years lol. it spaced the caliper out perfect and now i can say i have arp washers on my calipers braaaah. that plus a hardened washer from ace between the bolt head and knuckle made the e430 bolts have full thread engagement and not stick out past the threads on caliper. its perfect. the others would have only had half engagement....

when i thought i had everything i needed lol

on my car

and heres the bolts ones the ace one, ones the e430 one, and ones the wrong one i ordered off ebay. they have the set of 4 e430 bolts on ebay though fyi. and those are the washers i used

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I never looked up how much the bolts are from mercedes when I worked there but I doubt they are super expensive.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah there isn't a Mercedes dealership around me for hours sadly. any m12x1.5 bolt will work as long as its grade 10.9 or higher. just where i live there isn't much beside going to ace. and the e430 bolt is 35mm long for reference.

also the ace hardened washer was too thin and two of them was to thick thats why i used the arp washer it was the perfect medium. i bet a stock 7m head bolt washer would work too.

ibcrazee

tested
Jan 27, 2010
south of I-10
i pre measured with the thicker crush washers, it looked close but I had no issue bottoming out the banjo bolt. no leaks!

completed mine today. took it for a spin to bed the brakes. wow! much much better stopping power with these calipers and rotors.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
SideWinderGX;2045246 said:
Ordered rotors, pads and the spacers today. Hopefully I have them by this weekend.

Has anyone had to use thicker copper crush washers for the stock brake lines, or had any issues with the bolt bottoming out?

i got some washer off i think a late 90's prelude can't remember for sure when i got the bolts at the junk yard. they're aluminum and thicker. i could see how the stock copper washers could not work cause they're thinner and copper compresses more when you torque it down.

and whoever originally found this out needs a big high five lol!!! ive had them on for almost a week and have done some higher speed runs and just did an autocross today. they have so much more stopping power than the stock brakes but feel the same until you lay into them. like over 100 its crazy how much more it stops. when i was bedding them in i was doing like 60 to like 5mph and it wasn't getting them hot enough so i bumped it up to like 90 and even then it took like 3 in a row for me to start to smell the pads but the brakes werent even close to fading. just shows the capacity to just get the pads and rotors even hot enough to bed. make sure you don't have loose shit in your car or its all gonna end up flying to the front floor boards :biggrinbo

one thing idk how well theyed work on a non abs car since under 60 if you really lay into them you can activate abs pretty easy but since it takes some decent pedal force its fairly easy to modulate. just the abs gives you a cushion in case you over brake. i have re11a's too and they have pretty good dam good grip so on a all season i could see them locking up significantly easier.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Someone else found out that a 2 piston mercedes caliper fit to the hub with no bracket randomly after being given some calipers. He also was trying to make it a secret or keep it that way but ended up saying what caliper it was eventually. :/

So when i worked at mercedes i took my spare hub and measured and test fit everything. After about 3 weeks of test fitting when doing brakes i finally found the best combination. I also tried larger rotors but they will require brackets. also every mercedes uses the same bolt spacing but a lot of the newer larger calipers use a bigger bolt which would require drilling of the hubs which i am not a fan of.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
What exact caliper is needed, as there seem to be a few variations...

This style is listed as 00-02 S430:

However, this is also listed as 00-02 S430 with different mounting tabs:

Which style have people been using?

ibcrazee

tested
Jan 27, 2010
south of I-10
mine are like the 2nd pic. bolted right up per OP instructions. zero issues. although I did eliminate the tab for the sensor bolt, it wasn't necessary to clear my 18" wheels, just aesthetics.