Bolt on Big Brake Kit For around 300$.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Not in my budget but these are interesting. You can even get them with a full floating option. https://ceika-store.com/products/coert146

I'll be using the normal cast iron on mine I think.

I'm going to make an aluminum hubcentric bushing that attaches through the back of the rotor and then gets another bushing pressed on the front of it for the wheel centering. That way I don't have to deal with a bunch of loose spacers when I take the wheels off. I'll have to press it off the rotors if I ever change the rotors but whatever.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I noticed something else useful today while test fitting my calipers. The rear brake hoses for our cars are a much better fit than the front hoses are. They have the same type of ends as the mercedes hoses and they're almost exactly the proper length. You only have to put a piece of rubber over the hose in the middle where it rubs the side of the shock (like the mercedes s430 hoses have on them). Actually the mercedes s430 hoses look like they'd fit as well but I don't have one here to try.

I did have a spare rear hose though.

original-b4dd7c701cc9e06951fdc1bd22ed9a31.jpg

Also, these calipers fit fine with the 17" Drag DR31 (Work Emotion CR-Kai knock offs). I can't remember the specs on the wheels, I'll try to remember to post that later. I spaced the calipers out 6mm to be sure they'd fit since I don't have rotors yet.

original-301f5943f91315d69e27de9bdf356bfb.jpg

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Stupid question time: couldn't you just have the proper 5x114.3 bolt pattern drilled between the R350s 5x112 holes and not need to bother with the centering rings?

Like so?

769fbd7aa041e640d1130aed141711a5.jpg

Also, we really need to get a running list of wheels that these fit under

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Hub Centric is always preferred over lug centric.

Same applies for wheels.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Mine are done. I still have to bleed them better and bed the pads.

Using rear brake hoses worked perfectly. They don't rub anything after all, they fit perfect. Only mod to them is to grind the "keyed" sides of the mounting nut so it fits the keying on the hose bracket on the subframe.
original-396fc33f2b6eb098972a2bb3ad28b943.jpg

I decided to just machine the hub rings for the rotors down flush like everyone else was doing rather than doing what I was talking about earlier. That way the rings for the wheels are all the same on all four wheels and no chance I'll mix them up when rotating tires. I got rings on ebay rather than turning them myself, to save some time. I thinned them to 0.275" thickness (0.010" thinner than the rotor hats).
original-53ba189444c7f0286428d98600f5d607.jpg

I did the caliper spacers out of 17-4PH stainless steel in H900 condition. I found 3.55mm (0.140") to be the perfect spacing.
original-29fbc9264d6e20cc80255c0e331e1302.jpg

original-39539c60f7bdb02b75c898486a707c94.jpg

original-03f00aab421487c1058ead36d9074baa.jpg

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Good note on the rear brake lines usage.

What wheels are you using? And dimensions, dia, backspacing ect..

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
My wheels are Drag DR31 17x9" +38 offset.

Edit: Ignore this, they weren't bled...----> I'm not happy with the distance you have to push the pedal to move the slack out of all the extra pistons. These calipers seem to retract the pistons a lot when you let off the pedal. I'm sure they're bled but I still have an excessive dead space at the top of the pedal travel.

My wheel bearings are good (and new) so I don't think they're the cause.

My solution is going to be to try a 97 t100 1 ton abs master cylinder. It moves 12% more fluid at 1 1/16" bore.

Probably a good idea anyway to help refine pedal feel since I deleted my abs years back.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
You are positive no air is in the system?
The square cut seals on the caliper pistons only return the piston ~1 / 2mm max
This is primarily determined by the hardness of the piston seal and the chamfer dimensions cut into the caliper.

Good patent writeup here on the subject:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5826681.pdf

Does your master cylinder have good new seals in it?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
destrux;2094160 said:
I'm sure they're bled but I still have an excessive dead space at the top of the pedal travel.

I have the same issue with mine. But I was experiencing the same thing with the factory brake setup prior to the conversion. Now quite a while back I replaced the Master Cylinder with a refurbished OEM Aisin unit. Perhaps I needed to adjust the push-rod to the new cylinder? I didn't think about it at the time, but that's the only thing I can see it being at this point. Anyone have any luck adjusting the push-rod nut without removing the brake lines from the Master? Because there's no chance in hell I'm dealing with bleeding the air out of this system again.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yes I am. My car was ABS but I deleted the pump years back but kept the rest of the system the same, I just ran new lines and got a T fitting from another car.

After driving it a few more days I decided there was some air in there. You could pump the pedal up fast and it would get higher, which usually is a sign of air.

Even after all the bleeding I did, even unbolting the calipers and tilting them I did have air in there. I finally got the last bit out by pumping the front caliper pistons out to their max extension using a set of completely worn out pads in place of the new ones (the old pads are there just to keep the pistons from popping out of their bores). Then I opened the bleeders and pushed the outboard pistons in all the way (which purged a little air out) and then the inboard pistons (a little more air, probably came from the other side of the caliper). Then they were good, no mush at the top of the pedal.

I still felt like the pedal was lower than it should be and I wanted to have to push the brakes harder to get to the point they'd lock, so I went ahead with the T100 master cylinder anyway. I don't regret it. It was worth the $70. The pedal feels great now. It's solid. I don't think the old MC had any issues (no visible leaks and it was only a few years old IIRC) so I set it on the side as an emergency spare since the new one is a NAPA reman (only one NAPA could get for a 97 T100 1 ton apparently).

One note about that T100 master though... if you get one get one WITH a reservoir. The stock supra one won't fit, the outlets on the bottom are too big. It uses the same reservoir as a 1g/2g 4Runner though, and I have a 91 4Runner parts truck here that I got one from. You also need the grommets for it.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Rock auto has pretty good prices.

Got mine from ssf which is sort of like world PAC for German cars.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
For those of you that have gotten your calipers powder coated: did you completely disassemble the caliper into its 3 main parts? Or did you leave the bolts in and have it PCed as one unit?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
^
I see no reason not to disassemble them. Probably need to pull the seals too since most powder coatings are baked on at high temp.

Because the bolts are TTY and I'm not sure I want to find replacements. Also, there's no way those seals are only going to be able to handle under 400°. The rotors get hotter than that from heavy braking.