Blue Smoke out exhaust after boost

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi,

My 7m has been rebuilt 5000km ago (new rings, pistons, bearing, full valve job etc, turbo was not rebuilt.), everything is flawless with the motor, compression is perfect, car drives perfect and makes good power.

today i was boosting up a hill, gave it a little stick in 2nd then 3rd, and then came to a stop, as i was stopping a small burst of blue smoke came out my exhaust and passed me :p (window was blowing that direction)

my missus followed me home today and noticed that it only happened once or twice on a 30 minute drive and only happened a few seconds after i had been on boost (not on take off)

turbo has slight shaft play back/forth and a bit of radial shaft play.

Is my turbo on its way out?? (looking for a excuse to upgrade anyway!)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
This doesn't sound very good for the life of the turbo, that's for sure. Turbo seals are probably on their way out.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
i had the same thing happen to mine. turns out it was the turbo. make sure you keep an eye on your oil level too. oh and itsa great excuse to get a new turbo =)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
adampecush;1420282 said:
what did your head rebuild consist of?

any smoke on startup?

Valve guides replaced, all valves checked and cleaned, brain crower valve springs, new stem seals, shims adjusted, head repaired from corrosion, decked (block was decked aswell within RA spec) cosmetic MLS Headgasket, head crack tested, softness tested, 3 angle valve job, exhaust stud holes retreaded , no porting or polishing but apart from that the full works.

took the accordion hose off, no oil in intake piping or round the inducer of the turbo so would have to be leaking on the exhaust?

it only happened twice in a long drive as well. I'm also running 10w-30 Pennzoil full mineral, engine sounds very healthy.

a bigger turbo is on the cards anyway.

went for another drive, did it a few seconds after pulling up at the lights. this time white (water) and blue (oil) the smoke only lasted a second

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
yep,

its the turbo, started to death whine coming home from the shops, still made boost but kept it off boost and limped it home. looks like ill be pulling it apart tommorrow!

EDIT:

Carnage pics. time for a bigger turbo... Compressor wheel is royally rooted.
p1420646_1.jpg

p1420646_2.jpg

p1420646_3.jpg

exhaust looks ok, the wheel is a bit too clean, most likely from leaking water.
p1420646_4.jpg

Last edited: