Blown Turbo and Blown Head Gasket!! With PICs!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
My car hates me!! haha. So I rescued this car about a year and a half ago from somones garage. It hadn't run in about 7 yrs. Story was that it had the head gasket replaced and then parked because it wasn't running right. So I got it running pretty decently and have been daily driving it while fixing and upgrading any issues.

So a week ago my Turbo started smoking on decelaration. I was pissed because I hadn't really ever felt full boost. Swapped out my gas tank and finally had it running at full blast! And guess what!!

BHG!!! Damn!!

I think I caught it early. Here are the pics. It only seems like a minor BHG at cylinder #1. I had a feeling the PO didn't fix it right. Still had stock head bolts.
p5040091.jpg

p5040092.jpg

p5040093.jpg

p5040094.jpg

p5040095.jpg

What type of headgasket is that? Felpro?

I'm just going to go with a Toyota Headgasket and ARP studs. I'm only going to resurface the head. I wish I could do the block too, but since I have to get a new Turbo too. Its just not in the budget. I hope it lasts atleast a year and I can do a full rebuild next summer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
To me its looks like no2 blew more than anything.

The coolant and combustion rings on no5 and 6 look pretty good compared to most bhg.

You caught it way early if it was blown. I caught my ge way early and it was way worse than that. I had no over heating or coolant lose, just a some what lose of power

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
There was only coolant/water in cylinder 1. The others were dry. Cylinder 2 does have some deposits in it. Could be dried coolant. Since my coolant has always been brown no matter how many times I flush it.

I did not really see any obvious damage to the gasket itself. I check for BHG signs daily! haha. I saw white smoke, increased idle, slight over heat, and milky oil cap and shut it down and started ordering parts. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya the coolant rings on all the cylinders dont look that bad for a bhg, but the only real problem i see is with the firing rings between no1&2.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Finally got some time to work on it this weekend. It looks so daunting when you got everything torn apart. Didn't know where to start! lol

I used a Toyota head gasket with ARP Studs and torqued them down to 85 ft pounds. Going to retourqe to 90 ft pounds after 5 heat cycles. I mounted my Driftmotion 57 trim turbo and the exhaust side is pretty much done. Started on the Intake side and then I ran out of juice. I also replaced cam seals, Front main, and oil drive pump seals, as well as the timing belt, tensioner and spring.

I still need to install upper intake manifold, intercooler piping, install my new A/C compressor, A/C drier, radiator, throttle linkage, wiring, and coil packs. And whatever else I missed or have laying on the garage floor! I miss my Supra!! 8-(

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I'm done!!! Woohoo!!! Finished it up today. I'm suprised that it started right up and ran great. I getting to the point where I know this car pretty well. Kinda sad. Always working on it!!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Not really. I took a few when I had it apart. Drove it to work today. It runs really smooth. I really want to see how that 57 Trim turbo feels like. Going to retorque the studs this weekend and then see whats she's got.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Just used a gasket scraper. Got it as clean as I could. Head was resurfaced and i'm using a stock toyota gasket. Hopefully I will be fine. I'm not going to be pushing to much boost. I just need it to last a year or so. Then I will do a proper rebuild.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
SrBigbutt;1568687 said:
I'm done!!! Woohoo!!! Finished it up today. I'm suprised that it started right up and ran great. I getting to the point where I know this car pretty well. Kinda sad. Always working on it!!

Ah, such is the way of a MKIII Supra owner. Ha ha. Happy modding.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
yea congrats that shes back together. any name for her? lol so far ive had my car 7 months and my coolant is GREEN still so i have my fingers crossed on the BHG issue. i check it every week or so but still. these damn things blow like a dirty whore blows everyday:) lol

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
No name, besides the Blue car and The Supra! haha. My coolant has been rusty brown since I got her. Flushed it like 10 times and still was rusty brown. Guess thats what happens when a car sits for 7 yrs. I replaced all the rubber hoses during the head swap and hopefully it will stay green now! Just got water in it right now though.

I got my new compressor charged with R12 today!! Now it blows....Blows cold!!!