blown mhg? need to fix? how to:

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
i use Cometic on one of my customer car he's boosting 20psi all day for the past 3 yrs no problem so in my book Cometic is just as good its all in the prep work just like a paint job no matter how good a painter is but if the prep is not done with care then the paint job is going to look like sh#!

but I'm use a F.E.T mhg

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
FET looks good.

Theres a new brand out there called "Nippon Racing."

Quake: Google Darin Darchina, and Sean Joseph. Those guys are putting down more power than you with no worries on the T.M.S. gasket.

This thread isn't going no where IMO. People who follow this will post a few months later asking why they ran over their new fancy connecting rods when their AFR's read Lean. But no worries the HKS Stopper MHG is fine and ready to be reused! ;)

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Zumtizzle;1481140 said:
FET looks good.

Theres a new brand out there called "Nippon Racing."

Quake: Google Darin Darchina, and Sean Joseph. Those guys are putting down more power than you with no worries on the T.M.S. gasket.

This thread isn't going no where IMO. People who follow this will post a few months later asking why they ran over their new fancy connecting rods when their AFR's read Lean. But no worries the HKS Stopper MHG is fine and ready to be reused! ;)

I know who darin is and have spoken to Sean many times. I already stated this was my opinion take it or leave it. I also never said how much power I make now. I could put together a car tomorrow for 1500 rwhp but that is not my goal. First off I want my car to road race, drag race, and street race. It's a tall order but above all it needs to be reliable, make over 550rwhp on pump and take a beating all day long everyday. It does this and has left me stranded once in 3 years from a failure. That failure was my msd dis-4 I had it fixed and picked up a second to leave in the car just incase. You see what these guys fail to realize is a head gasket can fail more than one way. I never gave specifics they just assumed and you know what happens when you make assumptions... :nono:The gasket could leak combustion gases between cylinders this you wont pick up. Maybe it only leaks under high boost, or a boost spike. It's not just always a coolant issue. If the gasket you use works for you and you are happy then by all means leave it in. At the end of the day the stopper has a better seal than a bead type that is all I am saying. As far as afr's go if you run too lean from a bad tune that is on you, I would hope the tune would be good after spending money on the right go fast parts. By the way i am fully aware that you can blow a hks stopper, just not as easy as a crappy bead type.

As for the spray I have seen pro builders use spray on 20,000 dollar motors without a problem. However I use it for my own reasons and it won't be the deciding factor on your combustion seal. Are there chemicals that can attack the viton in the spray? The bench racers say so and I never said I don't agree. The real question is at what concentration, if they knew that they would be ceo's of spray sealant company's lol. Rat poison can kill you too but at what concentration? Maybe one of those guys can tell me how long it will take for my gasket to turn to goo. I'll give them a hint it's gonna take more than 20k and 1 1/2 years over 600rwhp :biglaugh:

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
3 Yrs on a stopper not 1 blown head gasket and i could reuse it...oh yeah i just wanted to add i saw sean run his MKIII on the dyno he made 2 runs and on the 2nd the supra had to be pushed off dyno...i dont even think he saw 500hp...but none the less hes a great guy plenty of knowledge....

Last edited:

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
both parties got a bit heated about this discusion,lol,this argument was entertaining to read cause im on my fourth hg in 2-1/2 years.....p.s i dont do my own work bcause i dont have the capability,knowledge and time so dont start attacking me!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
quake. I know you're a "higher" hp member.

I'm going to stick with my HKS Stopper. (I'm getting it for cheap. ;))

But the Cometic/TMS/HKS/Greddy Beaded gaskets aren't "crap".

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
quake;1480981 said:
cometic has 3 layers a 1 shim and a top and bottom layer makes 3

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. The 4-layer gasket I was thinking of was Sean's HKS Stopper. My Cometic has 5 layers (not 3 or 4). Top seal, shim, middle seal, shim, bottom seal. Here's a picture, taken in my garage not 2 minutes ago.
p1483832_1.jpg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It isn't anything special that I know of, I was there when my machinist called in the order and it arrived 2 days later. But hey, I haven't been around these cars as long as others...

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
toyotanos;1483832 said:
I'm sorry, I was mistaken. The 4-layer gasket I was thinking of was Sean's HKS Stopper. My Cometic has 5 layers (not 3 or 4). Top seal, shim, middle seal, shim, bottom seal. Here's a picture, taken in my garage not 2 minutes ago.
p1487070_1.jpg

thats not what i meant by layers i take it you did not install it if you think you got 5

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My Cometics/TMS have always been 3 layer no matter the thickness, 2x shim 1x spacer, only 4 layer MHG I've personally see is the HKS Stopper 2x Shim 1x Spacer and 1x Firering Shim.