Blown head gasket, machinist recommendation?

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Well, it's nothing you all haven't seen before, but here's some pics of my recent BHG...came as a complete surprise since the previous owner said he put in a metal head gasket, and I have only been boosting about 9psi since I got the car. You can see the obvious problem with the head gasket, and that it's definitely not metal...it may even be the original Toyota, the car only has about 100k on it.

So because of money restrictions I am just going to put on a Toyota HG with ARP bolts (and copper spray). That means I won't be doing any sort of rebuild either, unfortunately, but I plan on flushing out the oil several times and hoping it lasts until I can do a rebuild - I think I caught this fairly early on. My head and block seem to be relatively unwarped (within TSRM spec), but I don't have a "precision" straight edge only a relatively cheap one so I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, I would like to at least take the head to a machine shop and have it machined flat...looks like it would cost about the same as buying one of those machinist's straight edges anyway. Has anyone had any experience with a machinist in the Denver, CO area (or somewhere else in the state) that they would recommend? I would also welcome any other input...for instance, am I making too big of a deal out of this, since I'm only using a stock gasket. Thanks!

-Ben

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 69

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i dont care how broke you are!!!!!!! get a metal head gasket now!!

i got my 2mm cometic mhg for 100!

do it or regret it later

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
chefma70;1483047 said:
i dont care how broke you are!!!!!!! get a metal head gasket now!!

i got my 2mm cometic mhg for 100!

do it or regret it later

where did you find a 2mm for 100 bucks at? been looking around for somce decent places i found a hks 1.2mm for 90, but i want something thick like that

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
You need to get the block and head done then get the mhg because you have to factor in how much the machine shop takes off from both. That will equal the size of your mhg. If you do it your way then youll mess with the compression, either raising it or lowering it, resulting in unwanted and very fatal (for engine) problems. Detonation is not your friend.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
airhead04;1483170 said:
You need to get the block and head done then get the mhg because you have to factor in how much the machine shop takes off from both. That will equal the size of your mhg.

Close, but not totally correct. You have to add the stock HG thickness to the amounts removed also. Your machinist will ulitmately tell you the thickness you need after he machines (and laps if going MHG) both surfaces, but it is good to know.

Don't just buy a head gasket because you can--look long and hard at your goals for this car. If all you ever want is stock power a Toyota or other composite HG "might" be enough, but if you ever plan on turning up the boost a quality MHG is just cheap insurance.

Remember:
Cheap, Fast, or Reliable (you can only pick two).

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Thanks for all the advice, guys. So everyone does seem to think I should get a MHG. It's still a possibility, but I'm reluctant. If I did, I would have to park the car for several months while I save up the extra money (I don't make much up at school)...

Gilsdorf, you asked about my plans for this car: well, yeah, I do plan on turning up the boost. But I can wait. The way I see it is, if I put in a Toyota HG now, I'm really not losing anything, except maybe the hundred bucks for the gasket, cause it will eventually become worthless when I replace it with a MHG. I don't mind doing all the labor this involves, it helps me get more familiar with the Supra. So if I have to replace the headgasket again in the not-too-distant future, I don't really mind. Besides, if I'm gonna pull the whole engine, I'd like to be able to take the time (and spend the money) to rebuild it and get everything right. I still have to think it over some more, we'll see how it goes...

By the way if I do go with a stock head gasket I'll be staying at stock boost or very close to it.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Just to follow up, I did end up using The Engine Shop and was very happy with their work. I had them resurface the head and install the helicoils for the exhaust manifold studs and both turned out well. Not sure what the RA was for the surface finish (I'm using a stock HG anyway) but visually I could tell it was definitely below 30, when I asked they couldn't give me a number but said it was MHG-ready.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
What kind of power are you planning? The stock head gasket is fine for low power as long as you use ARP head studs/bolts torqued properly and dont do anything stupid.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
nosechunks;1497540 said:
What kind of power are you planning? The stock head gasket is fine for low power as long as you use ARP head studs/bolts torqued properly and dont do anything stupid.

Not too much power, for now. Turbo and fuel system are still stock so I'll have to draw the line at like 13-14 psi anyway...and as long as I'm staying under fuel cut, a stock HG should hold up, right? I know some people run more boost than that with the stocker but I think I'll be safe and put in an MHG before I go any further. And yeah, I have ARP bolts on the way...