Blowing White Smoke.

flip7o2

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Hey guys haven't had a lot of time lately due to work and prior commitments, but my car is blowing white smoke whenever i boost. I'm thinking it's the turbo but a friend of mine said it could just be my gaskets. When i spool up the turbo i feel the turbo trying to pull but when i shift i blow white smoke. Any idea's so i have more of an idea before i start taking a look.

Thanks for the help ahead of time

flip7o2

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Failure14;1534031 said:
Check for codes using TSRM procedure
and then get back to us on the codes if any.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx
A paper clip works.

Is it just when you boost?

Yea its just when i boost then change gears. So i had it narrowed down to the turbo, turbo seals, or head gasket. hopefully its just seals or the gasket because im a broke person and cant afford a turbo rebuild.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Failure14;1534031 said:
Check for codes using TSRM procedure
and then get back to us on the codes if any.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx
A paper clip works.

Is it just when you boost?

Good post. And I agree. Check codes first when ever a problem arises, although blowing white smoke won't typically throw any codes.

Supraflymk3;1534445 said:
It's probably a blown head gasket, can't think of anything else that would cause white smoke.

Its because you're a newb. :) See response below.

JL7mgte;1534446 said:
Nah. Check the turbo seals first. My turbo used to do that sometimes on a hard pull then shift. Ended up rebuilding the turbo.

Good idea, but next time let the original poster know how to perform what you suggested.

Ok ok:

To the OP:

-Does the white smoke smell sweet, or does it smell like an old 2 stroke weed eater?
-Check the coolant. Is it off color? Does it smell like gas? Does it smell like exhaust? Is it milky? Do you have coolant pouring out the over flow bottle?
-Pull the accordion hose. Do you find large amounts of oil in the intake tract?
-Wiggle the turbo charger shaft. Does it wiggle from side to side or front to back more than .5 mm? Are all the fins in good shape, and accounted for on the compressor housing?

Perform these first. These are the easy tests. If you don't find any thing, we then start more complicated tests.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
MDCmotorsports;1534512 said:
Good post. And I agree. Check codes first when ever a problem arises, although blowing white smoke won't typically throw any codes.

Its because you're a newb. :) See response below.

I'm definately not a newb. I didn't really think before I posted after I posted I remembered about the coolant and oil passages in the turbo. So don't say shit if you don't know me!

Good idea, but next time let the original poster know how to perform what you suggested.

Ok ok:

To the OP:

-Does the white smoke smell sweet, or does it smell like an old 2 stroke weed eater?
-Check the coolant. Is it off color? Does it smell like gas? Does it smell like exhaust? Is it milky? Do you have coolant pouring out the over flow bottle?
-Pull the accordion hose. Do you find large amounts of oil in the intake tract?
-Wiggle the turbo charger shaft. Does it wiggle from side to side or front to back more than .5 mm? Are all the fins in good shape, and accounted for on the compressor housing?

Perform these first. These are the easy tests. If you don't find any thing, we then start more complicated tests.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Newb or no newb, I'll be a gentleman and say "uneducated response."

White smoke could be caused by two fluids: Coolant or Oil. In the case of a diesel, 3 fluids - but that's another subject.

The oil could be coming from:

-Damaged or worn piston rings inside the turbocharger
-Oil passing the turbocharger piston rings (dirty air filter, too much oil pressure, damaged turbo charger, drain line restriction, pcv system faulty etc)
-Residue oil inside the intercooler from a damaged turbocharger or malfunctioning turbocharger
-Damaged or broken engine piston rings
-Residue oil from leaking valve stem seals (typically shows up on start up though)

The coolant could be coming from

-Broken water passage inside block (cracked block etc)
-Blown head gasket
-Some sort of other catastrophic engine part failure

Coolant from a broken or eroded coolant passage inside the turbocharger is very unlikely the cause of white smoke. This typically will result in a milky crank case oil condition.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers there guy, but....

"If you don't know..... DON'T POST."

flip7o2

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks for all the posts guys. Got a game today so i won't be able to check it tonight.
I'll be on it first thing in the morning and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again all

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
MDCmotorsports;1534743 said:
...White smoke could be caused by two fluids: Coolant or Oil....

Correct. The things mentioned should be checked but as I've said before Toyota factory training manuals specifically point to the turbo as a likely cause when encountering white smoke under heavy boost and my experience backs that up.

flip7o2

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Alright guys sorry it took so long.. Been busy. Just got done lookin at the motor. Came up with an engine knock sensor code 52, but that still doesnt tell me anything as far as the white smoke goes.
Didnt have any oil in the turbo and shaft play was minimal. Nothing to make me think the turbo needs a rebuilt. Any ideas?

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If the turbine housing is dry internally, and the compressor housing inlet & outlet ports are dry....

Test the coolant for exhaust gases.
Pull the spark plugs, and report back - with picture.
Remove and clean the intercooler. (Search on the forum. Many ways to do this)
Complete a leak down test
Complete a compression test

flip7o2

Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
MDCmotorsports;1541547 said:
If the turbine housing is dry internally, and the compressor housing inlet & outlet ports are dry....

Test the coolant for exhaust gases.
Pull the spark plugs, and report back - with picture.
Remove and clean the intercooler. (Search on the forum. Many ways to do this)
Complete a leak down test
Complete a compression test

Alright. Most likely some time tomorrow morning or next week.
I Do the work with my uncle that i live with so whenever our schedules match up.
Get back to yall asap.

Thanks again