Blower speeds don't work

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
I have my custom double pole, single throw switch so that one side is low blower speed and the other is high. It was working fine but when I was going to put in a nice switch today, only low works. Before when I would ground the different blower speed wires, there'd be a click noise coming from near the blower motor, and then when I ground the heater relay, the blower would start at that speed. Now I don't hear any clicking and no speeds work except for low, which somehow works without grounding the heater relay.

Not sure what I could've done to mess that up, but it was somehow working and then stopped within that tiny timespan. Any ideas?? Thank you!

EDIT: forgot to mention i was replacing the blower resistor. although the behavior is the same without the resistor even hooked up.

EDIT2: when the low blower speed starts, it makes the same click sound im supposed to hear when switching speeds. i dontsee how any of it works without the relay being connected.

Last edited:

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
i have the toyota one though. it looks just like the one i took out. what could be wrong such that i no longer hear the clicking noise when switching speeds??

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
it worked with my old custom switch, which was also a single throw double pole. the wiring there is the same. the issue is present regardless of the switch. im not sure why you are bothering to comment rudely to me without understanding my question.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I am sorry, I guess was was trying to say. Unless you can show a EWD with you mods. It will be hard to help. Again I was not trying to ruffle any feathers.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
the problem is still most likely the resistor. as long as it's still hooked up, the power has to go through it. if it is bad, your switch will not work. a bad resistor will only let the current through on high speed.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
super51fan: thanks. i thought maybe you commenting to solely ridicule my setup. :)

that being said, there are no extra customizations. i just read the ewd and hooked some wires into the hvac control harness. when i plug the original controls in, they exhibit the same behavior.

regarding the resistor, that was my first guess but im not sure what to do if the toyota part doesnt work!! so im hoping its something else but i guess its possible that the part changed slightly enough to not work correctly.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
so i checked the resistance on the resistor and there is continuity throughout. i then checked the continuity of the blower resistor harness and there was only continuity between 6 and 4 (the two wires that go to the LO and HI parts of the resistor). im not sure, but shouldn't there be continuity between some of the other wires too? maybe i have a bad system amplifier?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If low works, it's not the resistor. High is the only speed that would bypass the resistor, or most of it.

Note that other things depend on a number of conditions, so without knowing where you installed your switches, I am unable to predict behavior, however, as I said, low ONLY works if the blower resistor is intact.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
my switch for the blower is literally just wires coming out of the hvac harness. i did not modify the harness or the other electronics in any way. when the blower does turn on (by grounding pin 12 on the control panel harness), it is at a low speed. grounding the other pins (like pin 4, which is hi speed) does nothing. it used to make a clicking sound when they were first grounded. when i unplug my wires from the harness and then plug the stock control panel in, its the same behavior (the blower only blows at a low speed and other speeds to not make a click when first grounded).

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
i can read enough of it to get things working (as i have thus far and how ive been able to ask questions about this problem), but i dont know enough to diagnose this problem. that is why im asking. im trying to learn where i messed up/what is wrong so i dont make such mistakes in the future or so i understand better how it works. im not sure whats wrong with that; isnt that what this forums is for?

80083r

chickeneater;1970260 said:
i can read enough of it to get things working (as i have thus far and how ive been able to ask questions about this problem), but i dont know enough to diagnose this problem. that is why im asking. im trying to learn where i messed up/what is wrong so i dont make such mistakes in the future or so i understand better how it works. im not sure whats wrong with that; isnt that what this forums is for?

<sarcasm on>
No, you are supposed to be an expert, or you will be internet trolled into oblivion.
<sarcasm off>

Yes, and you will mostly get good responses if you have done troubleshooting to the best of your ability and have presented all your steps and mods reasonably.

JetJock is very, very jaded (and I understand his viewpoint, sort of) and also very sarcastic and mean. If you poke him with a stick, sometimes he'll answer your questions, but mostly it's best to just read between the lines of his responses to find a clue about where you might want to start.

I find I get the best results when I ask before starting to troubleshoot about my approach. Sarcasm means I'm off track, reasonable answers (even if they are telling me I'm totally wrong) means I'm at least starting in the right place.

chickeneater

Aug 18, 2013
Portland
thanks for the advice.

any tips regarding my current problem? i feel like ive described how it used to operate and how it does now to the fullest of my ability, and have gotten good potential answers (that its the blower resistor).