blow off valve / bov question

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
I think I've finally got my car running right, but I'm getting massive compressor surge :cry: which sucks majorly.

The bov I currently have is a turbosmart kompact series plumback bov - basically an upgraded bosch bov that is adjustable. It's also got 25mm outlets. I have it mounted in the stock location, too.

I'm on my second spring for it, a softer spring, as the first spring gave me flutter no matter how tight or loose I had the spring tension. However, this spring is doing the same :aigo:

Now my first question is about the vac source - I currently have it set up like this:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and the vac line on the other end ends up going all the way to the wastegate, with other things T'd into it.
Is this bad?
Also, I'm not using the vac port on the bottom of the accordian hose - can I connect the bov to that?

Second question is, is my bov enough to cope with my turbo? or do i need to get one with bigger inlets? I've got a hypergear TR43i turbo (currently at 9psi) , specs are:

Compressor wheel:
Inducer: 57 mm
Exducer: 76 mm

Turbine wheel:
Inducer: 66 mm
Exducer: 56 mm

It's got a .63 A/R exhaust housing.

Please :1zhelp: as I dont wanna kill my turbo!

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Cheers, Ill try that in the morning.
Excuse my not knowing, but just so I'm clear, do you mean to do this:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I do only have one vac port up there, not two - Ive got a JDM 1990 motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No that looks to be ported vacc not full time

You want somewhere like the Brake Booster port.
(sorry never owned a stock GTE manifold so I'm not sure what's available to use)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The little elbow line on the front of the manifold is where the stock vaccum source is. It's just routed around to look pretty. Lines could be clogged...

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
So do you mean to plumb the left hose in the previous pic into the red circled area?
because it already is, connected to a hose where the green circle is...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'll see if the pipe is clogged

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
just blew compressed air thru the vac pipe in front of the 3000 pipe and it wasnt clogged.

should I reorganise the hoses coming off the front of the manifold or should I just connect my bov vac line to the back of the manifold, where my boost gauge line is?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You need a single dedicated line short and straight as possible.

That tight an AR with the medium size Compressor you're running is always going to be a bit of a surge monster and difficult to control on light throttle liftoffs.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
yep, thats the way the the instructions say to do it - opposit way to the bosch

howabout i take a pic of all my vac sources and you guys help me pick one? :D
Im still a noob with turbo stuff!

EDIT - here they are:

First, where it currently is (no the hoses aren't sitting like that normally):
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Second, where my boost gauge line is:
p1146631_1.jpg

Third, or do I T it into here?:
p1146631_2.jpg

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
First off, that first pic is all sorts of wrong. Looks like someone eliminated all the sensors and lines under the intake manifold...

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Oh?

Just looking thru a box of parts, I found the metal pipe thingy that a bunch of vac hoses connect to - but as far as I could tell from the vac lines pic on cygnus, the only sensors there using that are vsv sensors - and you're right, I dont have them... do JDM motors have them at all? I dont have the bvsv thingy on my thermostat housing...

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Ok I'm getting a HKS SSQV knock-off from a mate to see if that solves my problem - if it does then I can save up and buy a real one :)

Last edited:

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
just thought I'd ad something that I discovered yesterday - if I'm on or near full boost (6-9psi) and let off the gas ever so slightly then I do hear a pscchhhh noise, but as soon as I let it off completely it surges.

So it is kinda working... probably just cant cope with the amount of air.
But yea the ssqv will hopefully fix things - I might run both if I can.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Are you confusing Surge With the BoV venting?

I ask as Surge will happen if you ease off as there isn't any Vacc to pull the BoV open but if you lift totally the BoV "should" be fully open.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
if he is venting back into the accordian pipe, i bet that is what he is thinking. The venting air back into the accordian definatly has a different sound to it. Which is why im looking to dump the need to vent into the intake post afm, pre turbo. I am pretty sure my stock BOV wasnt enough to handle the lil extra boost, and was surging my turbo.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
rawmk3;1148519 said:
if he is venting back into the accordian pipe, i bet that is what he is thinking. The venting air back into the accordian definatly has a different sound to it. Which is why im looking to dump the need to vent into the intake post afm, pre turbo. I am pretty sure my stock BOV wasnt enough to handle the lil extra boost, and was surging my turbo.

I wish you would shut up and stop shitting on peoples threads....