Blitz SBC i-Color install (w photos)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Took me ages to install this thing, but I finally finished a few weeks ago. The iColor has alot of nice features like plots of boost vs rpm and so on, but the user interface is poor, a lot of the text is too small to read when driving, and it takes some learning to navigate around. As a boost controller, it is essentially the same as the other SBC models with dual actuators.

I decided to mount itin the ashtray pocket,by chopping the front off the ash tray and then adding on an ABS plastic panel. The SBC ECU fits nicely in the remains of the ashtray and the control panel mounted to the front.The whole thing then slides into the pocket so it is fairly easy to service if you need to remove it.

First thing was to chop the front of the ashtray off using a hacksaw and a mitre box after removing the front cover of the ashtray. I also punched some holes in the back for the ECU wiring. I also had to chop the metal ashtray mount that bolt to the car.
DSCF0371.jpg DSCF0393.JPG

Then I made an ABS panel to mount to the front of the chopped off ashtray that would fit into the center console pocket.
DSCF0375.JPG DSCF0382.JPG
Next step was to mount the SBC ecu inside the tray, and route the wiring and pressure hose out the back.
DSCF0388.JPG DSCF0390.JPG

Then the whole thing slides into the console. I enlarged the holes at the back of the console to make room for the wiring, and hooked up the various inputs using barrel crimps and heat shrink. The actuator is the same as any other SBC product. I first bolted the actuator to the frame, but that gave a woodpecker noise when it operated, so I replaced it with isolator mounts and now I cannot hear it at all.
DSCF0486.JPG

Finished installation, in action...

DSCF0476.JPG DSCF0480.JPG

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Wow! Great write up with such clean installation. Do you have more pictures of your dash? I'm liking that color!